FruitFood Tips

Preventing Fruit from Browning

Category Fruit

What other fruits turn brown and how long before they start to turn brown (except apples)? How do you stop fruit from turning brown? What chemicals or other materials can I use to stop the fruit from turning brown?

By Lashon

Please don't use anything chemical, it might not be safe. You can buy a product called Fruit Fresh, it works very well. I usually see it in either the canning section, or the baking section of stores. Once in a while I see it in the produce section. You can dissolve a vitamin C tablet in a quart of water and pour some over the fruit. Or you can squeeze some lemon juice into water and rinse the fruit in that - dilute it enough so that it doesn't make the fruit sour. You can even use diluted vinegar. I have used vinegar and not been able to detect the smell or taste when I served it. I also use diluted vinegar when dehydrating fruits and vegetables, and they keep the nice color real well with no vinegar taste at all. Vinegar is the cheapest way. Good luck!

Lemon juice prevents fruit from browning.