Snowball Cake

This is my Mom, Vicy's, recipe, and it is really good. It is wonderful on a hot day, very refreshing and light. It's a delicious, tropical tasting treat.

• 2 envelopes plain gelatin
  • 4 Tbsp. cold water
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 large can crushed pineapple, well drained
  • Ad
  • 2 small cans mandarin oranges, well drained
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large angel food cake, broken into bite-size pieces
  • 6 cups Cool Whip*
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut
  • maraschino cherries, well drained

Note: For those of you not in the States, Cool Whip is a non-dairy substitute for whipped cream. It is sold in the freezer section of the grocery store, and you let it thaw before using. Many people prefer it to real whipped cream. It is more stable than whipped cream, so is better suited to this particular cake.

The original recipe called for three packets of Dream Whip, prepared according to package directions. This is a shelf stable powder that you mix with milk and vanilla and whip until it is light and fluffy. It is actually pretty good, especially since you can have it on hand for when you want whipped cream and don't have it.

Directions:

Mix the gelatin in the cold water to soften. Add the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add the lemon juice, pineapple, orange sections, and sugar and mix well. Put in refrigerator to chill. When the gelatin mixture is partially set, fold in 4 cups of the Cool Whip until well blended.

Using a decorative glass bowl, or a trifle bowl, or a 9 x 13 inch pan, arrange alternating layers of cake and the gelatin and fruit mixture. It looks very nice if you arrange the top in small mounds so that it looks like snowballs when done. Make each snowball the size of one serving. Chill this 6 hours, or overnight.

When the cake mixture is thoroughly chilled, spread the top with the remaining 2 cups of Cool Whip. Sprinkle the top evenly with the coconut, then put a maraschino cherry in the top of each snowball (whole or halved).

Make sure you drain the fruit really well or your gelatin mixture might not set up as well as it should.

This cake was a family favorite. We had a lot of recipe requests for this delicious dessert.

You can use flavored gelatin, but I like it best with the plain. It allows the flavors of the fruit to shine.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

This is a great recipe for our hottest weather in years. I started buying the store brand whipped topping when it was on sale and I actually like the taste better and saving money where I can.

Thanks for sharing this one and all your others. : )

Keeper

Awesome! This is something that we that are diabetic can have! Thanks!

Oh, this sounds just Heavenly. Pineapple has always been a great favorite, and I think I was in my 40's before I knew there was such a thing as Mandarin oranges, but I've been buying and using them ever since. (They are nice as garnishes for salads too).

The finished cake has got to be a spectacular presentation too, so it'll be fun to make and serve, especially during this summer heat when only cold foods look really appetizing. You have another winner here, my friend.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Pookarina

This has to be a very pretty cake when all dressed up in snowy white coconut and red or green cherries. I don't have a trifle bowl, and I think I'm going to hunt one now. It sounds like a delicious dessert.

Thank you for sharing your recipe.

MisMachado

Christmas Snowball Cake
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes FruitJuly 20, 2011
Balloon Snowball Fight
Having a Balloon Snowball Fight
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Making a boxed cake mix.
Baking a Cake With Boxed Cake Mix
🎉
🎄