Health InsuranceBudget & Finance

Health Insurance for College Student

Our daughter, despite being a full-time student, is being kicked off our health insurance as soon as she turns 22. The student insurance offered through her university looks like mediocre coverage with high co-pays for about $100/month. Any suggestions for better and/or cheaper coverage?

Kerry from Sandy, UT

Ask what your insurer suggests. My daughter is a full time student in FL and she had an exam and only paid $5.00. She only pays that if she sees the doctor on campus.

Check with local insurance companies, get bids, sometimes the town where the college is might be the place to start.

Our college son just turned 21 and was taken off our family plan because of it. We purchased a higher co-pay insurance because he's so disgustingly healthy he never goes to the dr. A major accident or illness would be covered. His policy went from $185.00 per month (his part of the family plan) to $76.00 per month with Blue Cross.

It just depends on the college. I recently returned to school, and the one I attended did not require students to have insurance. The one my son attends for graduate school does, and if students are not covered by personal insurance, they must buy it from the school at $1500/yr (the school has its own medical university, but they can use the insurance anywhere). The school I attended also had a school-owned free clinic on campus (or basically free) for students. The one he went to for his BA had a totally free clinic run by the health department. The one he goes to now has no free clinic, just their hospital and a learning clinic. Insurance has gone up drastically in the past year. My point would be that if the school has a free clinic on campus, you'd just need to insure her for large emergencies, and you could take a higher deductible to cut costs, especially if she's relatively healthy.

I had good luck with Golden Rule Insurance Co. I chose a high deductible of at least $1000.00.

Some communities have 'outpatient'clinics, that are for people without insurance, and the fees charged are based on income of the patient. I hope there is one locally for your daughter.