Is New Washer Drain Hose Compatible with Older Plumbing?

I need to get a new washer and dryer. I live in a 40+ year old house and I have been told that the outlet hose for the washers in these old houses are 1 1/2 inches. The new washers use 2 inch hoses. I don't even know where to go to get an answer or what to do. Does anyone have any advice? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

By abigailprettycat from Portland, OR

Best Answer

Go to your local hardware store and tell them that you need an adapter for your washer hose that will fit what you need at your house. Although our house and washer are a lot closer in age than your two, we still had to get an adapter to make it fit right. You will also need to be sure and buy plumber's tape to make sure the fittings are tight and secure.

Best Answer

You can ask at various stores before making your purchase. A lot of stores will hook them up for you and will even haul away the old ones. Lowe's and Home Depot are a couple of stores that come to mind.

Call a plumber!

Jeeze! Tell the vendor you're buying that expensive machine from to hook it up for you. Or tell them no sale. And, ask for warrantee.

You aren't helpless, you know.

Wow, I hope that Chuck's reply slipped through by accident. Lets not forget our manners. Geez.

Boy Helping Dad with Plumbing
Plumbing Advice for Homeowners
Consumer Advice General AdviceJuly 28, 2010
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Plumber fixing a leaky faucet.
Fixing Leaky Faucets
Shower drain with hair
Unclogging a Shower Drain