Unclogging a Shower Drain

Category Plumbing
Shower drains routinely become clogged with soap residue and hair. This is a guide about unclogging a shower drain.

A natural solution for clearing a drain is using using vinegar, baking soda, and boiling water. While effective on moderate drain clogs, you must make sure all of the baking soda is flushed from your drain or it can create an even worse clog when it dries and becomes hard.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How can I fix a slow shower drain?

By steve from Pa

Answers

Best Answer

I used the method that has been posted several times on Thriftyfun for unstopping a toilet. Pour Dawn dish detergent down the drain and let it sit a few minutes. Then pour boiling water down drain. Afterwards, I used the plunger and it unstopped the drain immediately. Amazing.

Best Answer

Before you try using a drain cleaner try using a baby bottle brush. Get one that has a wire type handle so it can be bent. When you get it in twirl it around and in and out to get hair and debris dislodged. Repeat as need to clean the hair off the baby bottle brush. I then used a plunger while the water was running. Worked for me! Don't use the baby bottle brush again for your baby's bottles.

Best Answer

The Dawn/plunger route worked great! Thanks for the tip!

I used a Magic Eraser on the bathroom shower when it disintegrated into pieces and fell down the drain causing a clogged drain. How can I dissolve the pieces?

Answers

You can try a snake. If you can't get to it, you may need a plumber.

Anonymous

How far down the drain did it go? Try using a shop vac (the kind that you can use with water). We had a little one put items in our drain and that was how I got it out.

If regular drain solution treatment doesn't work, you might need a plumber.

i am not sure you can dissolve a Magic Eraser so you will either have to bring it up or dislodge it so the pieces are not clumped and may flow through your system.

If you have not cleaned your drain of hair in a long time (especially if anyone has long hair) then this might also be part of your problem. My daughter has long hair and she uses something called drain zip which is very cheap and really works (for removing hair). Here is one for sale at Walmart:
https://www.wal … ng-Tool/17043687

I may not have made myself very clear - I really meant that if you try something like this it may bring up the pieces of the magic eraser along with the hair. They do sell these at a lot of stores and they do work even in other cases of drain problems.

What I would dry is a plastic drain snake like you can get on amazon, home improvement stores and maybe even a grocery store.

https://www.ama … ic+plumber+snake

They have barbs on them which might help you bring some of that sponge back out and reduce the amount that has to be flushed into your sewer or septic.

Anonymous

Thank you..I like that idea...will try it out and let you know. Not sure how far down the drain is.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.....it worked great....drain now all cleared.....you're the best !

How can I unplug a shower drain cheaply?

By Harry Wulf from Antioch, CA

Answers:

Unclogging a Shower Drain

There is a acid that you can get from the hardware store. Please do not let it touch your skin, it will seriously hurt you. It is on the drain cleaner isle. I believe it costs $6-7.00. Follow the instructions fully. You have to let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Hope that this helps. Crystal (09/01/2009)

By CRYSTAL

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Take the drain strainer off and use a hook fashioned from a coat hanger or wire to reach down in and drag out all the hair and gunk, then put the strainer back on.
Bobdog (09/01/2009)

By bobc

Unclogging a Shower Drain

This is a cheap and natural way to unclog a drain. Pour a half cup of baking soda down the drain, then follow with a half cup of white vinegar. Cover the drain and let this sit for several minutes. Then pour a cup of boiling hot water down the drain. This should clear the clog. Flush the drain again for a minute or two to ensure it's clear. (09/03/2009)

By Jami

Unclogging a Shower Drain

My dad suggested I use a plunger (like the kind you use for the toilet). It took me a while and I had to really get aggressive with the plunges, but it eventually freed it up. Good luck. (09/22/2009)

By khilde

How can I unclog a drain that has built up shampoo and soap, without calling a plumber?

Connie from Columbia, SC

Answers:

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Gee, this question pops up almost every day. Take the stopper out and clean it and the pipe which it came out of. It is a very easy thing to do. If you want step by step directions, buy this months issue of Handyman at your local book store. (10/30/2008)

By Harry

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Pouring baking soda followed by vinegar worked! I poured about a cup of Baking Soda down the drain, followed it with vinegar, and it caused a foaming effect. I then poured the boiling hot water down the drain and plunged it a few times. I had to repeat the process twice before it worked but it did! (02/01/2009)

By JG

The drain in our shower is totally clogged. I have tried Liquid Plumber, Drano, and boiling water. None have helped to unclog it. Any ideas?

Susan from Lake Villa, IL

Answers:

Unclogging a Shower Drain

How about a bit of prevention for those of you using bleach and chemicals such as Drano. Buy a drain catcher (not sure of correct name) to keep hair from clogging the drain. The drain catcher either sits inside the drain (they come in different diameters) or one that sits on top of the drain. Please don't pour chemicals into the sewage system. Our world is polluted so much already. Thanks. (09/24/2008)

By SuzyQ

Unclogging a Shower Drain

I agree with SuzyQ! One more thing about using chemicals to unclog a drain beyond the issue of our environment is, especially if it's old piping, you are risking the chemicals eating through the pipes and causing water leak damage and huge repair bills :-(

Simply buy or rent a plumbing snake and make sure you have a hair catcher in the drain from now on. (09/26/2008)

By Ann

Unclogging a Shower Drain

My sink and shower both were clogged and I tried everything. Our shower and sink had the drain cap that can screw off, when I removed it I noticed some hair in the drain. I got a piece of wire, bent the end and started to fish out the hair. What I thought were a few hairs ended up to a huge ball of hair. After a few minutes all the hair was gone and the drains flowed freely (09/26/2008)

By LEONA LABINE

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Pouring baking soda and vinegar down a clogged drain has done the trick for me.
Best of luck to ya. (09/26/2008)

By Warren

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Try a plumber's snake. You can get a small one at the hardware store for about 10-20 dollars, and snake the drain. We did this, and all our other drains cleared up too. (09/26/2008)

By denise w

Unclogging a Shower Drain

Shower drains usually are clogged from hair. Just unscrew the drain cover and stick a long piece of wire down it to get the hair out. In the future, clean the hair off the drain after every shower to avoid having this problem.

I also use baking soda and vinegar in the drain once a month just to keep it clear. (09/27/2008)

By Stngray

How do you unclog a shower drain? We have tried everything and cannot get the water to flow freely.

Ann from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Unclogging a Shower Drain

If your shower is with your tub you can remove the stopper apparatus. After several years of use, they get to the point where they don't open properly, thereby leaving the tub "stopped up" all the time. DH took ours out and it works great now. I went to the dollar store and bought a little rubber disc type stopper for the rare occasions when I need to keep water in the tub. (10/30/2008)

By Marty Dick

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.