Plumbing Advice for Homeowners

I have read many ways to unclog a drain. I have also tried many ways. However, the one way that has always worked for me is "Rapidly Boiling Water." I just boil several pots of water and pour them down the drain. I have used this in the kitchen sink and bathroom sink as well as a toilet and shower. It has never let me down.

Note: Take as much liquid out of the sink as possible. Then keep pouring the boiling water until it starts to drain. Keep doing this until it drains normally. It may take several trips. If you still need to plunge - WAIT UNTIL THE WATER COOLS (you don't want to burn yourself with any splash)

By Compltlyme from Sammamish, WA

16 More Solutions

My daughter dropped her diamond down the drain. She called a local plumber who said there would be a service call charge of $55.00 plus a charge to locate the ring. I called my brother in law who does plumbing.

If you do any replacement work on your plumbing, double check the job the next day, a week later, a month later to make sure that no leaks develop.

Label the parts of the electrical and plumbing systems that lurk in your basement. Identify each fuse or circuit breaker, hot and cold water shutoffs, heating system controls, gas and water meters, and drain clean-out access covers.

Toilet tip from Syd deals with a plumbing problem when a plunger won't help. This is one most of us don't think about.

How much will it cost for a plumber to run a snake down my sewage drain?

Answers

Best Answer

We have places that do it for $49.95. That is all they do.

Best Answer

Every town is different. Where I am the prices range from 60-160 dollars.

If you don't have a regular plumber, be sure to read Yelp reviews and ask friends for a recommendation.

If you are super handy, Home Depot and Lowes (at least where I am) rent snakes and you can do it yourself for very little. Depending on who waits on you, some of the workers are very knowledgeable and can tell you exactly how to do it.

Something to think about! Post back with an update!

Answer this Question

How can I fix a slow shower drain?

By steve from Pa

Answers

Best Answer

I used the method that has been posted several times on Thriftyfun for unstopping a toilet. Pour Dawn dish detergent down the drain and let it sit a few minutes. Then pour boiling water down drain. Afterwards, I used the plunger and it unstopped the drain immediately. Amazing.

Best Answer

Before you try using a drain cleaner try using a baby bottle brush. Get one that has a wire type handle so it can be bent. When you get it in twirl it around and in and out to get hair and debris dislodged. Repeat as need to clean the hair off the baby bottle brush. I then used a plunger while the water was running. Worked for me! Don't use the baby bottle brush again for your baby's bottles.

Best Answer

The Dawn/plunger route worked great! Thanks for the tip!

Answer this Question

I need to get a new washer and dryer. I live in a 40+ year old house and I have been told that the outlet hose for the washers in these old houses are 1 1/2 inches. The new washers use 2 inch hoses. I don't even know where to go to get an answer or what to do. Does anyone have any advice? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

By abigailprettycat from Portland, OR

Answers

Best Answer

Go to your local hardware store and tell them that you need an adapter for your washer hose that will fit what you need at your house. Although our house and washer are a lot closer in age than your two, we still had to get an adapter to make it fit right. You will also need to be sure and buy plumber's tape to make sure the fittings are tight and secure.

Best Answer

You can ask at various stores before making your purchase. A lot of stores will hook them up for you and will even haul away the old ones. Lowe's and Home Depot are a couple of stores that come to mind.

Answer this Question

I recently had major plumbing work performed in my master bathroom. They had to remove the tiles in my shower to get to the pipes. Upon completion of the work including re-tilng of the shower, there seems to be a lingering strong chemical smell.

We tried to vent out the room for 2 weeks but anytime you shut the doors to the bathroom or bedroom, the chemical smell accumulates. Has anyone experienced this after major plumbing and tile work? Any recommendations on testing the air. We're in our 37th week of pregnancy and are concerned for the baby.

Hegel from Houston, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Invite the local Plumbing Inspector over for his/her opinion..

Best Answer

I'm not sure if this will work, but try setting several bowls of baking soda in the room and close the door to see if that will absorb the smell. Change every couple of days with fresh baking soda. Good Luck

Answer this Question

My toilet is plugged up and when I flush the toilet water comes out of the bottom of the toilets and in the showers. I'm unemployed and am a mother of a 2yr old boy.

It is starting to smell really bad it's been about a week that it's been plugged.

Answers

Best Answer

You can contact a church or Habitat for Humanity. You are going to rot out your subfloors if you don't take care of this.

Best Answer

If you are unemployed, I believe you are paying rent. This is a problem for your landlord to take care of. Furthermore, this is a health hazard and dangerous for you and your son. You should immediately call the landlord and get him there to fix this problem.

Otherwise, if you own your home then you're going to have to do this one on your own. What you can try is a few faithful tricks that I have found to work quite well.

Bring your garden hose in the house and stuff it as far down the toilet as possible. Now turn it on full force and see if you can lodge the clog loose. You can also remove the drain screen in the bathtub and do this too. You could have a blockage from hair or something your little 2 year old threw down the toilet.

Answer this Question

Any plumbers or roofing contractors out there? I live in Winnipeg, where the temperature is usually -35 to -45 degrees Celsius for 6 months of the year. This summer I put a new roof on my house. Now I have a big problem! My "stink stack" keeps freezing over! This never happened before. My house was built in 1935 and is a story and a half. It has a Cape Cod style roof (very steep angle), we put ice dam stuff on it and asphalt shingles.

What can I do to stop this freezing problem. Would wrapping the part of the stack that goes through the attic with insulation help? And, if so, what kind of insulation should I use? The roof is too steep to get up there in the winter. We have scraped the snow off from around the stack and removed the ice several times already, but it still freezes over. What can I do to permanently fix this, as I am told it is not good to have this happen!

Answers

By Tomatohanger (Guest Post)

I lived in northern MN, in a two story house. In the fall before really cold weather set in we would always climb up on the roof and drop an electric heater element, designed for that job, into the vent. You have to run an electric cord outside to it somehow, of course. The extension cord would keep the heater element in proper position.

Never a problem with freezing. The element was a very low-wattage gadget and well worth the cost of the power to keep the vent open.

So I went to run a bath and only a little water came out. Then it stopped. There is no water to the bath, sink, washing room, and toilet. The kitchen only has cold water. Can anyone help?

We had dirty water from a frozen pipe. I did my undies, some are white, and now they are yellowed from the dirty water. This happened on Saturday. They fixed the pipe, but here it is Wednesday and this happened. When will my water clear up?

By flower51

When you are expecting cold weather, you want insulate any outside water faucet. You can fashion your own cover by reusing a plastic bottle and styrofoam cups. This is a page about how to make an outside faucet cover for freezing weather.

Faucet cover on a brick wall.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about keeping a toilet from overflowing. A few simple steps can help you prevent the disastrous toilet overflow event.

Plumber holding a plunger peeking out from inside a toilet

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairFebruary 13, 2014
🎃
🌻
🎂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Plumbing-Advice-for-Homeowners.html