Remedy for Puppy With Gas

Luci is a 10 week old Boxer. I feed her a very nutritional food 3x a day. The problem is her flatulence, it's silent, but very deadly! It's embarrassing when we are out and when guests come over. She can literally clear a room. She doesn't seem to have any discomfort and is regular in her bm. Is there something I should do differently or just get used to apologizing?

By Amberly from TX

Best Answer

Just in case this isn't from natural causes only, it may also be worms. They cause flatulence and the odor is strong. Have the dog checked for worms and get a can of Lysol Spray Disinfectant as that helps clear the room of odor too.

Hello Amberly. Honestly, I'm laughing with you as those silent but scary canine gas leaks can indeed clear a room in mere seconds! As a pet parent of two huge breed dogs I can assure you that you are not alone with this dilemma. Dogs fart and they don't politely save it for the privacy of their designated restroom areas.

A few thoughts about your situation:

1. Large bodied, thick chested dogs (such as Boxers and my Mastiffs) have a natural tendency to release more gas. As long as they are not in discomfort and as long as their bellies do not become distended (swollen) it is usually harmless.

2. However, large bodied, thick chested dogs can be susceptible to a potentially deadly condition called "Bloat". (Do plenty of research on this so you are aware of the symptoms.) "Bloat" must be treated immediately by a vet with the probability of emergency surgery.

3. Since your Luci is only a 10 week old pup, on a good and healthy diet, and not showing signs of obvious discomfort; chances are she is just adjusting to her new diet and her new environment. (Or maybe she's just gonna' be a big time gas producer.)

Do talk to your vet about your concerns, but don't expect a cure for "gas". Human and canine alike, gas simply must pass! :-) Wishing you and Luci a long and happy friendship.

Boxers are known gas factories.

Plenty of good tips here as far as making sure all is well and normal and I see no need to apologize to anyone for her normal bodily functions! Just make a joke out of it, and were it me, my sense of humor would be inclined to blame the odor on the guest sitting or standing the closest to your baby girl with a laugh and a smile ! ;-)

Diet change may be in order. No corn, wheat or soy. At least some raw is best. Nothing from your grocery store dog food aisle. Fear she has worms? Food grade diatomaceous earth works nicely and is not a poison. MUST be food grade. No vaccines. They destroy the immune system. Read for good information lots written by doctors who have delved into the question. Parvo vac often causes parvo.

A bulldog with a flatulence problem
Remedies for Dogs With Gas
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 23, 2011
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips