I washed a blanket in my washer dryer. Stupidly, I dried it as well, without checking the label which says "do not tumble dry". The blanket was fine but this really strong solvent-type smell was in the dryer afterwards. I can only describe it as being like petrol but more of a strong glue/dry cleaning fluid type smell. It made me feel sick and dizzy and I was really quite concerned.
Health problems aside, I can't get rid of this now in the washer dryer. I have tried bleach on a 90 degree cycle, dishwasher powder on a 90 degree cycle but to no avail. Everything is now coming out of the machine with this solvent smell, worse if it is dried. Any ideas ? Thanks a lot.
Jamie from Birmingham UK
Here are the recent answer to this question.
Was there any stain from an oil base? When the motor went in our dryer, there was a HUGE gear oil stain on one of my favorite sweatshirts (about 5 years ago it happened).....and to this day I still wear it for my around the house stuff, but I make sure to wash it separately from other delicates so the smell doesn't permiate into everything else.
By Cyinda 04/01/2008
I hate to say it, but I pretty sure your odor was caused by that nasty stuff they put into blankets & children's sleep-wear to make it fire retardant... I recently heard a science program on NPR radio that studies have shown that the chemicals put into children's sleep wear & fireproofing chemicals make kids fat cells more efficient at storing calories. One more thing to add to childrens obesity. Kinda makes you want to put your kids into only organic cotton clothes & bedding!
---> To get rid of that nasty smell in your dryer mix 50% water & 50% Vinegar in a cup. Pour this solution onto a wash cloth, then ring out most of it so it doesn't drip. Next, wipe it around the inside of your dryer, then let it sit for 10 or 15 min & wipe again if you need to. Lastly, take a towel that's been dampened with ONLY water & wipe out the vinegar/water solution so your dryer is now clean. This should do the trick!
If not, then try RUNNING the dryer on LOW heat WITH the vinegar wash cloth inside of the dryer for about 10 minutes. Then wipe it out with a clean towel or washcloth that's been dampened with just water. Lets us know how this worked! Vinegar will remove almost ANY & ALL odors!
OR: You can just put a bowl of straight Vinegar (filled about 1 or 2 inches full) INSIDE your dryer & leave it in there over-night. The next morning your dryer should smell fresh as a daisy (as soon as the vinegar fumes have left) be sure to air it out a bit before using. This is the easiest solution. No muss, No fuss!
* I'd stay away from using solvents or rubbing alcohol as these could cause a fire when the dryer is turned on!
---> If the vinegar doesn't work (I'm 99% sure it will) Then take a leg of a panty hose & fill it with NEW clean Kitty Litter & tie the ends off tightly. Set the kitty litter filled nylon into the dryer for several days, then remove. (This is how you remove musty smells from car trunks etc) Kitty Litter is super absorbent & will most likely take away any smell that may be left. If you can find the kind of litter where you live that looks like large Crystals (NOT sand) then this is very best, second best is the old fashioned "Clay" litter, do NOT use the scoopabale "sand" type (like "fresh step") because the grains are so small they might go through the Nylon. (In the USA you can find the crystal type litter called "Miami Litter" at Walmart) The old fashioned "Clay" litter can be bought any where & will cost less than $3 per bag US.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.