AdviceHome Improvement

Removing Painted Pictures from Ceramic Tile

I have ceramic tiles in the kitchen and most of them have veggies and fruit painted on them. How can I get that off or do I have to replace them all?

Jamie from Plato, MO

Answers

The pictures on the tiles may be decals. I would pick one in a corner or behind an appliance and see if I could scrape the pictures off. If not, I would go to your local paint store and get some high hide primer and paint over the tiles either individually or as a group. Then get a paint suitable to cover ceramic(ask at the store) and paint over the primer. Finally seal with a good sealer that will be able to take the abuse that kitchens dish out. I understand at some home improvement stores you can get new designs that stick on over tiles. Not sure how well they work, but it might be worth a try.