Shelf Liner for Securing Throw Rugs

My husband scored several new oriental style rugs. The problem is that the smaller area rugs slipped on our linoleum flooring. I solved that problem by buying an inexpensive roll of brown foam shelving liner and cutting it up into rectangles to put two under each rug at each end to anchor them. One cheap roll ($1.50) was enough for four area rugs.

Pamela M. from Hollywood, CA

Excellent idea! Timely, too, with today's aging population. I'm going to mention this to hubby, although we don't use a lot of area rugs.

Come to think of it, that shelf liner would work as a non-slip surface for mixing bowls and such, as well. You could cut a circle to match the bottom of your mixing bowl and Super Glue it on. I've priced those non-slip mixing bowls - they're outrageously expensive!

An earlier post said the shelf liner discoloured the flooring. 

I use it to keep my placemats from slipping around on the table. Works great.

You wouldn't even have to glue it to the bottom of your bowls. Just lay it on the counter and set your bowl on it. That might work too.

Just place a circle of the liner on the counter and set your bowl on it. It would save gluing it to the bottom of your bowls.

I use it under the totes that hold the jumper cables, etc. in the trunk of my car to keep them from sliding around.

I put some of that liner under my chair pads in kitchen and it turned the wood yellow. I guess it is something about the chemicals in it that does this. So I would check from time to time and see if your floor is yellowing.

Fantastic tip! Another "if I only had a brain" I would have thought of it! moment.

Thanks for sharing!

My grandmother would use the rubber rings from preserving jars.

It was on my bathroom rugs and turned the floor yellow! Keep a check on it!

To solve the problem of a throw rug that slips & slides, is silicone caulk!!! The Caulk can be stinky so you might want to do this outdoors or in a well ventilated area, but just grab the caulk gun, and make strips of caulk on the back of the rug, while its still wet, press the caulk down with a butter knife... Something straight & metal & kind of push the caulk into the bottom of the rug, let it dry for 24 hours & once fully dried, you no longer have a slippery rug. It works wonderfully!!!

I used my wife's yoga mat. It works great and she will never find her yoga mat.

A rug sitting on a wood floor.
Keeping Rugs From Slipping
Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsOctober 1, 2009
Panty Liners
Cleaning a Stuck Panty Liner From Clothing
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Drawer Liner
Uses for Drawer Liner
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎄