Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

I have a huge problem! I am staying with a friend for a couple weeks until my house is ready to move into. My oldest cat, only a year, peed on her sofa because she was scared to get down to use the litter box. My friend has 2 dogs.

I tried Febreze and it didn't work so I went to the store and bought special "cat odor and stain remover spray". I have scrubbed the couch twice with no success. She has a reclining sofa so I can't take the sofa apart to wash them. What should I do? I feel horrible because my cats never did that at my house!

By Kinder from San Diego, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By pacifica12/10/2010

Several posts talk about extracting the water used for the clean up, can anyone recommend a wet/dry vacuum for this problem?
Thanks.

By Bob Amsel11/28/2010

There's a terrific product that only costs a dollar. You can buy it at Dollar Tree and at Family Dollar stores. It's called "LA's Totally Awesome." I've tried expensive stuff that doesn't work, and this cheap stuff actually does!

By arondite09/10/2010

There is a product called Zero Odor (you can order it online) that works, really works! Check it out.
Our dog got skunked in the face, and you know how difficult it is to get that smell out, even after bathing him with "skunk formula" items. I rubbed a little bit of Zero Odor on my hands and rubbed it on his fur and I'm not kidding, the smell was completely gone. I've used it on really-really bad pet urine stains, instead of spraying it, I poured some into the stain directly from the bottle and let it sit awhile before blotting it up, and it worked better than anything else I've ever tried, including professional carpet cleaning products.
Try Zero Odor before you buy a new couch.

By Louise B. [4]08/10/2010

I actually don't have a suggestion, but there are MANY suggestions on this site in the archives. I am sure that something will work. I do not think that you will have to spend $1000 on a new couch over one cat accident. I refuse to believe that there is not something that will work. One thing that you might do is phone the SPCA or other animal shelter or a vet's office and ask them what they use to remove urine odor. I am assuming that the cat urine soaked into the foam, and you have to get you enzymatic cleaner down into that to do any good. Good luck!

By Grandma J [46]08/10/2010

Using chemical after chemical on the main furniture piece of the house is not good or healthy for those living there.

By Grandma J [46]08/10/2010

Don't think it is going to work. Best plan on replacing her couch.

Cats have hormone sprays which they do in indication of what is going on. Fear, Dominance, Anger, etc all have different scents. Not meant to come off easily, if ever.

Not getting it clean means her house will stink, her dogs will continuously be upset by the cat smell as well. With a cat visiting someone's house over a length of time, at a person with dogs, the guest protocol would to leave your cat in the carry kennel (I am presuming you were a good guest and had one). The dominate animals in the host house are the dogs. It was not up to the host to hide or detain them from their normal living pattern.
Does not matter if you bring dog/cat/children into another's home as guests, it is your responsibility to maintain full control 100%, to pay for damages 100% without question. Your homeowners insurance should cover it, Not the hosts. It should replace the item destroyed by the cat pee.

By anne [10]08/10/2010

Search on ThriftyFun for the "pee recipe". I published it. You are going to have to soak the couch cushion and wherever the pee went. Important, first check for colorfastness on a hidden area of the couch.

By Lisa [2]08/06/2010

It sounds like you may have tried this already, but when my cat was a wee kitten, he had a little pee accident on the couch. I immediately soaked up what I could, soaked the area with an enzymatic cleaner, and tried to pull up as much moisture as I could with the carpet cleaner. I did this a couple times.

My cats seemed kind of interested while it was drying, so I sprayed the area with the enzymatic cleaner again after it dried. I haven't had any problems since then.

So, if you haven't tried it yet, pick up some enzymatic cleaner (I got mine at Petsmart, but I think I've heard that they have it at Wal-Mart and Target, too). Did you get to the accident while it was fresh? I really saturated the area, to get at all of the urine residue. It might take a few tries to get good results.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Cat Odor From a Couch

How can I get cat odor out of a very nice used couch? It still has a ton of life, but unfortunately, cat oder as well. It has already been steam cleaned.

Thanks,
BB

RE: Removing Cat Odor From a Couch

The steam cleaning may have helped to "set" the odor into the fabric or if urine, spread the smell throughout it. Unclear whether it is urine odor or just "cat" odor. Recipe: 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide (brown bottle in 1st aid aisle) mixed w/ 3 tbsp. baking soda & about 3 drops hand d/washing liquid (optional). Mix in spray bottle, saturate couch, allow to dry naturally. May have to repeat. This should work, but test 1st to avoid fading or bleeding of colors. Never faded anything at my house, tho. Best to mix only what you think you will use at that time, so adjust recipe accordingly. This is one of the best stain removers, also! Even cat stains on white carpeting! (04/21/2005)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Removing Cat Odor From a Couch

Try this: remove the cushion covers and wash them with a cup of vinegar in the wash load. To avoid fading and snagging, turn them inside out and zip them closed (wash them all together to keep them all the same color, in case you have to do this again in the future). Don't put them in the dryer! You'll never get them back on! Let them air-dry.

While you have the covers off, saturate the smelly parts with Lysol spray. Put the nozzle right up to the surface and just keep spraying. Let this air-dry as well. You may end up with a stain on the foam, but the smell will be gone and the bacteria dead. Once you put the covers back on, no one will ever notice. (04/21/2005)

By Diane P

RE: Removing Cat Odor From a Couch

What I have done in the past is pour a generous amount of vinegar directly on the spot. After it soaks in the cushion, set the cushion on its side while drying. It may take a day or more. If it's on the main part of the sofa I would just pour it on. This has always worked for me - you didn't say if it was one area or the entire thing. If it's the entire thing, I would use the cleaner again, but use vinegar in place of the soap they suggest. (04/21/2005)

By Ann4

Archive: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

I just moved into a new apartment, and my new roommate unfortunately bought a new couch about 3 months before we moved in together. Her old roommate had a cat that pee'd on it a few times, she thought she cleaned it. However ,we all know that cat urine smells do not come out. Unfortunately, the smells are unbearable in our new home, it is so horrible we don't even want to have company over. We have tried deep cleaning them with a machine, spraying unknown amounts of Febreeze on them, nothing seems to work. A day later, the smell is back. Can someone please give me some advice on how to get rid of this smell since throwing out the couches isn't exactly an option she is willing to make, as she is still paying for them. And she did purchase the 'Scotchguard' warranty, I don't suggest it to people who are looking for pet protection, as they only cover VISIBLE stains not odors. Thanking you in advance. Rebecca from Connecticut

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

Try Nature's Miracle pet spray that is available from pet stores or Petsmart. It contains enzymes that break the urine down and is used to get rid of pee spots so your animals don't pee on the same spot again. Safe for fabrics, carpets and floors. (06/03/2007)

By jazzbird719

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

Yes, Natures Miracle is the thing. If it is really bad the Vet told me to soak the area with Natures Miracle and put a plastic bag or invert a pan or bowl over the spot to let it soak for overnight then next morning blot up with paper towels and let dry. If it is on the cushion just do this out doors putting the cushion in a plastic bag and remove bag in the AM and air dry. (06/04/2007)

By Rasta

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

It happened to me, and ultimately I took the covers off the cushions, used scissors to cut the piddle out of the cushions and then used a piece of foam that I bought, tore it in 1" pieces, and refilled the hole, then put the covers back on. I had treated the covers with Natures' Miracle but scissors were needed for the contents inside the cushions. No more cats here! (06/04/2007)

By Kim Ch

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

I heard the soaking/saturating it with straight vinegar will work, and the vinegar smell will go away over a few weeks. I don't know if it's true or not, but it would be cheap to try. (06/05/2007)

By susanmajp

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

Have successfully used ODO_BAN full strength from Sams.

Vinegar and peroxide will work also, but do not use peroxide on wool or silk.

After treating, place 'sachets' of scrap cloth filled with baking soda or fresh coffee grounds (as before making coffee) between cushions to absorb any odors that may become evident after initial treatment. (06/05/2007)

By CAMILLA

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

Pour straight white vinegar on the spots. let it soak in good to get down to where the old urine smells are. then suck it out with a steam cleaner or blot with towels. the vinegar neutralizes the urine. Let air dry. The smell of vinegar will go away. It's better than urine smell. (06/05/2007)

By Elaine

RE: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

You will likely have a problem with this. I am in animal rescue and this is an age old problem. What happens is the urine soaks into the padding or stuffing of a couch and most of the recommended odor removers are only a mask and does nothing to eliminate the odor source. One thing that does work, is fairly new on the market called WOOLITE Pet Stain and Odor Remover. It is for carpets and upholstery cleaner. Spray it on ( reallly soak the area) let it sit for 2-3 minutes an soak up with paper towel if possible or just let it air dry. If this doesn't work consider tossing the couch. We buy several bottles at a time and use it whenever there is an accident or just a ticked off cat marking their territory. Good luck and let us know if you have other questions. We get it at Meijers for $3.59 a 22 Oz. spray bottle. (06/06/2007)

By Jimmy2N

Archive: Cat Pee Smell on a Couch

Help! I've been given a beige velour sofa by my nephew and he has two cats at home. The sofa is lovely, if a bit dusty, but it stinks of cats!