Browsing: Creating a Food Budget

Sticking to a Lunch Budget

I am not working currently as I am a care giver for my elderly parents, so I eat lunch at home. I have set myself a budget of 1 pound a day (approx. $2 American) for everything I eat, except for our main meal at night with my husband. It is quite possible to make 1 pound stretch, as I mostly live on snacks and fruit during the day.

I mentally calculate the cost of everything as I go along. I know that's a bit sad, but it gives me a sense of satisfaction to stick within my budget. If I do go over one day, I cut back the next. It's a bit like a diet I suppose. I can make a big bowl of mashed potato with grated cheese mixed in for about 50p, and this covers lunch for 2 days. Then I can have a banana, an apple, and a bag of crisps. There is no limit put on our evening meals, but we don't go mad! I am a great believer in looking after the pennies etc.

By econ o'miser

Not sad, I do the same thing only in American money. Try a bowl of black beans with a bit of shredded cheddar mixed in-- about 50 cents if you use dried beans and cook a bunch at once. (Not sure what that is in pence.)

Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
Food and Recipes Food Tips School and Work LunchSeptember 24, 2004
A chunk of stuck together ice cubes.
Keeping Ice Cubes from Sticking
A girl eating packed lunch at school.
School Lunch Ideas
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
Fabric Lunch Bag
Making Fabric Lunch Bags
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 27, 2016 at 2:10:35 AM on 10.0.2.103 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.