Getting Rid of a Musty Smell Under the House - Categories:

OdorsCleaning

Getting Rid of a Musty Smell Under the House

I own a double wide home with a block foundation. The musty smell comes up from under the home. It started when the weather changed. The cool, damp ground has released the musty smell under the home. It really smells bad in the bathroom. What can I spray the ground with?

By Christine from DE

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I hope you get a better answer, but at least I can tell you that it sounds like moisture is forming under the house, and perhaps forming mold. Since mold can be dangerous, you need a way to let water escape from under the house rather than being trapped under it.

It has been a long time since I lived in a mobile home, but this sounds like a moisture problem to me. I don't believe that spraying the ground with anything will help. I would make sure that you have good air circulation under the trailer. Open up crossvents, and maybe you need to set up a fan to dry it out. I think you should check with other mobile homeowners in your area to see what they do for ventilation. I am sure that your problem is not unique to your home, but it would be quite different in a different climate.

Make sure that the vents that go under the house and the one leading from the drains in the bathroom to the roof are not blocked. I use to open up a bit of the skirting on the side that the wind blows from and a bit on the opposite side. Usually, after a couple of days the ground dried out the smell was gone, and I put the skirting back in place. Fling some laundry soap under the house if you see moss or mold growing.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 26, 2010
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Musty Smell in the Basement
Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 8:16:11 AM on 10.0.2.7 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.