Is Dog Urine Bad for My Vegetable Garden?

I have 2 female dogs. They urinate on cement in my yard, when I hose it down the water from this goes into my vegetable garden. Can this be harmful to humans to eat these vegetables? I am concerned about this. Can someone please help?

Diane from Chicago, IL

Best Answer

Since it seeps into the ground, I don't believe there is potential harm for humans - but it can/will kill grass and plants (especially from female dogs).

Try to get the dogs to go somewhere else. You can also dig a small "moat" around your garden to block the urine - or line the edge with rocks to block it.

In the meantime, you will need to neutralize the soil. An old trick my father taught me - place a few tablespoons of baking soda in a watering can - water thoroughly. This will counteract the acid in the urine.

Don't know if it will harm you to eat the veggies, but you probably won't get any if you don't neutralize the acid from the urine (especially from female dogs.)

I would put a barrier between the garden and the dog urine - possibly dig a small "moat" and fill with rocks to stop the urine - or build a barrier with bricks of garden stones.

Also, you will need to neutralize the acid fairly quickly or your vegetables will not survive - my father's trick was to use a few tablespoons of baking soda in a watering can and water the area.

Good luck!

I read somewhere dog feces in veg garden will seep in and cause bacteria that is not good for humanes.

I would find out BEFORE I ate anything. Good luck

and hope you find out.

My dog urinates on my basil and cilantro which i've been eating for 3 months. I just learned today that he was doing that. Because he is a boy and a 150 lbs. Neo mastiff it gets the whole plant from top to bottom. I decided to close up the garden and he'll just have a smaller yard. I'm sorry baby boy but mommy needs her veggies.

White dog sitting in the backyard.
Growing Vegetables Where Pets Have Pooped or Peed
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 7, 2007
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄