Grocery Shopping At Multiple Stores

I usually grocery shop at three different stores in one day. My grocery lists were getting confusing. I had a hard time trying to keep track of what to buy at what store.

Now I use one list, and use different color highlighters for each store. I jot down what I need on the list and then highlight with the appropriate color highlighter. I also mark with a star if I have a coupon for that item.

Like most people, we get so many sale circulars from different stores. It's hard to keep track of what store has what on sale that week. When we read through our sale circulars, we immediately circle the sale item and then jot the item and the price on the front top portion of that circular. Now at a glance, we can compare and then decide what is the better price.

Be aware that a lot of the stores are now offering sale items only when you spend a certain amount of money. Or an item may be on sale for a certain amount of days. It is usually written in small print.

One of our supermarkets will advertise an item at a reduced price when you use a manufacturer's coupon. It is written in small print. I feel this is very misleading. How do they know if a person has that particular coupon? Also, most stores sales will end on a Saturday, but some will end on a Thursday.

It seems more often that some of the stores change their sale tactics to draw in customers. Shoppers have to read more carefully about any bargains that have sale prices. It's getting to be more of a challenge to save money while grocery shopping.

By mkymlp from NE PA / USA

Where I live the two major grocery stores have very little in their ads that iw lower priced than the origional price of groceries at WalMart. Plus if you bring other store's ads into WalMart, they honor the other store's prices. I have never thought it paid to go running from store to store, by the time you figure the price of gas and wear and tear on your car.

These are great tips. I love using the highlighter tip. It is getting tough to shop thrifty anymore. I am lucky enough to have all three of my favorite grocery stores in one small area. Pathmark, Wal-mart and Aldis. In fact, we pass them to and from work. Our local Wal-mart is not a supermarket but it offers other necessities at reasonable prices. Thanks.

I used my PC to create different shopping lists for different stores. That way, there's no confusion or worrying about which color is for which store. I also leave room at the top for writing down things we only need occasionally, like furnace filters. When you live miles away from the nearest city, like we do, preparation for any shopping trip is essential. :)

September 20, 2011 Flag

I always place a large portable ice chest in my car when I shop. No ice is necessary if it has a good seal on it. I am able to go to multiple stores and pick up their loss leaders on one driving trip. It saves lots of gas and grocery money snagging those frozen, refrigerated deals!

By Karin from Benbrook, TX

How much does the gas and wear and tear on your car cost? A person also needs the room to store this stuff. A lot of people that I know only have room for about a weeks worth of frozen stuff.

A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Better Living Frugal Living AdviceApril 14, 2010
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Couple in a grocery store.
Shopping At Ethnic Food Stores
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores