Why Doesn't Steam Cleaning Carpets Set Stains?

I don't get it. Heat sets stains into fabric. So, how is it that steam cleaning carpets does not set the stains in carpets as well?

By Carla from Greensboro, NC

Carpets are treated to resist staining. 3M Scotchgard and Stainmaster are two products that came to mind that are applied during the manufacturing of carpets.

The steam pulls the stain out supposedly. Steam cleaners that I rent at grocery or hardware store have worked great for me. I pre-treat the stained areas with some extra of the cleaning solution that goes into the cleaning unit and they seem to magically disappear. I also have had luck with steam cleaners taking out the odor from pet urine.

Because most are nylon/polyester in other words plastic.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetMarch 21, 2010
Fabric Steam Press
Repairing a Fabric Steam Press
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam