Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I just got a new front loading washer. Can I use up my old regular detergent by using smaller amounts or will it damage the washer? Thank you.

By Aline from Vero Beach, FL

Front loaders are not as special as the manufacturers want you to believe. I use Dawn dish liquid on everyday stuff and Ivory liquid on delicates with fav softener, no issues. You do need less, which is a bonus. Happy Laundry.

I use regular about a tablespoon have been doing it for years and front loader is fine. Leave door open between loads to avoid mold.

I have a front loading washer, but it is not a high efficiency model (HE) so I can use regular laundry detergent.

I have an HE Front Loader. A repairman told me years ago to only use HE Liquid Laundry Detergent as regular detergent soaps up & suds too much. I use 1-2 tbsp of HE Detergent per load with no trouble. I always leave the door cracked open in-between washing, too.

Use only HE laundry detergents on HE front loader washing machines. Using anything else could reduce the life of your machine & could possibly void your warranty. I try to stock up on these detergents when there is a really great sale and have a coupon.

It is sort of like your auto dishwasher, you can't use sink dish detergent in the dishwasher or you can null and void any repairs needing done. Yep, husband grabbed that one time and there were suds and water all over the floor.

Anyway, I have used the HE detergent for my laundry since 1977. That is what my Amway SA8/BioQuest has been all these years. You don't use more than a couple tablespoons and you don't want any sudsing action you can see the bubbles of yesteryear on them.

We use Maytag front loader at our dry cleaning stores. I found that LG front load washer is not the best. BUT, I have found that the following gives me a good and fresh smell to our laundry: 1 Tablespoon of the proper tide (HE) detergent is ample.The odor comes from putting too much detergent in. On towels I add some vinegar too. I wipe down the rubber and put a small sink stopper to keep it open. Also, it really is a must to drain it every month.(A pain!). Our machine is 4 years old. It was rated highly by consumers. I would definitely not recommend it.

November 29, 2010 Flag

What type/brand of detergent is best to use in my new LG front load washer?

By bpoint from Long Island, NY

Answers:

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

Any laundry detergent that has HE on the front of the label. Tide and Whisk are two brands that I use. Some people use smaller amount of regular detergent, but the idea of HE is too have less suds as well as less soap. (10/10/2010)

By foxrun41

October 10, 2010 Flag

Is there any additive that can be added to laundry detergent to make it "HE"? I just purchased a front loader and have stores of regular detergent that I don't want to have go to waste.

By Alicia from Harrisburg, PA

Answers:

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I have had an HE washer for about 10 years and I always purchase regular detergent. I just use half the amount and it works fine. It actually enables me to save money because I get twice as many loads out of a bottle of detergent and the clothes all seem to come clean. I do about 14 loads a week! I think maybe the HE detergents have less suds in them because when someone else used my washer and used a full cap the suds were crazy. I had to run the washer without detergent to get them to go down. Good luck, you will love this washer! (08/19/2010)

By copygail

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I also use regular detergent in a smaller amount. Since the recommended amount of detergent is way too much to begin with, I use only a quarter of the recommended amount in my HE machine. (Half would be about right for a regular machine.) I also use only a tiny smidgen of fabric softener. (08/19/2010)

By chretienne

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I've found that for my LG washing machine that I must use powdered detergent because the liquid formula leaves a bad smell. (08/20/2010)

By ddpmkrupa

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I use regular detergent, almost always liquid, and non-scented. The appliance repairman that worked on my other appliances said to use about 1/4-1/3 the amount recommended for a standard washer. I also add about a tablespoon of borax and/or washing soda per load, and use vinegar as a fabric softener. We have never had an odor problem in 12 years. (09/11/2010)

By Contester

August 17, 2010 Flag

You don't have to use the expensive low-suds laundry soap for a front load washing machine just use 1/4-1/2 the recommended amount. This has been working great for mine and saves loads of money.

By Kara Grantland

Answers:

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

Yes, I agree that the front load washing machine detergent is very expensive, plus it rarely goes on sale. They did not mention this when we bought the washing machine. Although I love it for the ability I now have to wash blankets and pillows easily here at home. Plus I use less water than I did with the old top load with the agitator in the center.

I would like to try the 1/4 to 1/2 amount of the regular top load detergent...does it clean the clothes as well as the front load detergent? Right now I am using 1/2 the amount "recommended" on the box of front load detergent. (10/24/2004)

By valleyrimgirl

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I, too, have a big front loader washer and love it. However, when I had a Sears repairman out to my house, he recommended only using 1 tablespoon of liquid laundry detergent in my machine. He proved that I was using too much detergent by running an empty cycle through the machine and showed me the soap bubbles that were washing around in the water that should have been clear. I have been using only 1 tbsp for 2 years and my laundry is clean. I also only use 1/2 teaspoon of liquid fabric softener. These 2 suggestions save lots of money. (10/25/2004)

By Wanda

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I use regular detergent, too. And my clothes always come out clean and fresh. A little dab will do ya! (11/24/2004)

By johnsonya

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

You will have to vary the amount of detergent you use depending upon your water chemistry (water hardness to be exact). If your water is fairly soft, excessive sudsing could be a problem. If your water is hard, you will have to use more detergent. How much detergent to use will vary from water source to water source. (08/15/2005)

By Water dude

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I, too, have been using regular soap in my HE machine. I use 1 to 2 TBSP of Surf powder, depending on how big the load is. So far it cleans the clothes, and my machine runs just fine! (09/22/2007)

By Lisa

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

Ours does well on 1/3 - 1/2 cup Regular Tide Powder, split for the two wash cycles. No problem with residual soap in the clothing. (08/17/2008)

By yinyang

Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

I've had an HE washer for a couple of years. At first I used powder detergent. A lot of the time chunks of detergent formed in the soap dispenser. Even after the rinse cycle there were sometimes smears on the clothing where the chunks must have tried to dissolve. So I switched to liquid detergent after six months and couldn't be happier since. By using just a dab there hasn't been a residue build-up in the machine. (03/27/2010)

By rainingshoes

Laundry soap on top of a washer.
Best Laundry Soap for Front Load Washers
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryNovember 29, 2010
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
Front Loading Washer
Dyeing Clothing in a Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎉
🎄