Use Cooking Oil to Remove Sticky Residue Off Fur

I had a mouse in the house and placed the sticky tray traps where it was invading. Even though I thought I'd placed them out of the reach of my dogs, my Lhasa got into one and it stuck to her fur. What a mess! I had to cut it off and then tried everything to get the sticky goo off her fur to no avail. She was a mess.

I called my vet and she advised me to use regular cooking oil and rub it in the goo and then use a rag to wipe it clean. Took a little effort, but it worked. I couldn't believe it. My dog's lifesaver and my wallet's. It may or may not work on tar, etc., but it's worth the try. Hope this is useful.

By MaryEllen from Mounds, OK

Please, please, please, don't use those sticky mouse traps. You may not like mice, but this is the most terrible and torturous way of getting rid of them. Sometimes they will chew their feet of to try and get away, and the distress must be appalling. I don't worry about them, and so don't know how to make them go away. I have a pair that come and take cheese from my hand. I rather like them. Please don't do this to a living, feeling creature, try and imagine its terror instead, and find a more humane way to deal with your problem.

Leah from Australia.

What a cruel thing to put stickey traps for your visiting mice. Please don't cause so much pain and suffering. Think or a second what these poor creatures go through. Peppermint oil placed in spots near where the mice might like repels them beautifully. Study mice and you will see how intelligent they are. Mother instincts are supurb. Please don't cause pain and suffering to any creature.

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my tip to help my beloved pet in her dilemma. I am a true lover of pets and an advocate for pet welfare. I have adopted many pets in my life and will continue to do so. However, mice that are from the outside and invade my home are a health hazard. And when they eat my food and destroy my cherished possessions, I am not appreciative. I do not want to expose my pets to them nor me.

My objective of my tip was to help pet lovers to help their pet if they encountered goop that can be difficult to clean off. Again, if I offended anyone, I'm sorry. But, I don't like mice in my house! They carry diseases that I can't cope with.

Over 15 years ago, while visiting family who had sticky mouse traps, I had a parrot get stuck on one. My avian vet and the parrot hotline recommended using Dawn (straight from the bottle, not diluted in water) to get the stick off my hawkhead parrot. It worked perfectly.

A bird's system is delicate and its skin can absorb anything on it. Dawn is non-toxic to birds and animals.

Should it happen again, try it next time.

To the individuals who responded regarding using stickly traps, shame on you for chastising someone for using them. While you might prefer not to use them, some folks can't handle regular mousetraps or putting out poison because of little children around. This member was asking for help in removing the sticky glue on the traps, and not looking to be criticized for using them.

I'm with ya on the not wanting a mouse invasion (a recurring issue at my home as well). I do love animals, and I do think mice are cute (we've had one who would come out from behind the fridge at night and drink from the pet water bowl, and learned not to worry about people walking by...we also fed the little bugger on several occasions. He wouldn't eat from our hands, but he'd come close...)

But, having two family members with pretty hefty allergies to mouse urine (my son and myself), we can't tolerate it for too long.

But, I also MUST agree, sorry if anyone takes offense to my opinion, that glue traps are JUST about the MOST inhumane thing going. Just a few moments thought of what it'd be like to be stuck on one for minutes, hours...the rest of your short life...SHOULD be enough to keep any non-inherently-cruel person from using them.

Not condemning anyone who's put them out--sometimes, in desperation, we don't always consider fully what we do. No exemptions (DEFINITELY myself included).

But, please consider the ramifications. There are other options.

There is a product called a 'Mice Cube', which I've found to be the BEST mouse trap around. It's an elongated cube with a swinging door, which only opens in. Little pegs keep it from swinging the other way. To release a trapped mouse, you just take it outside and flip it upside down on the ground. The little door flips down, and the critter bounces away into the woods (though they sometimes think about it for a few seconds...if they take too long, just give the trap a little shake--they make up their little minds REAL quick!)

The only concern with the Mice Cube is ventilation. Even though these traps've been out for YEARS, they STILL have the SAME, tiny, inadequate vent holes. This is easily remedied by heating up the end of a pair of scissors or a small screwdriver with a lighter and twisting it in the holes a couple times to enlarge them a bit (not TOO much, though, or a crafty mouse might hook her tiny teeth in there and chew herself free).

Be sure to check the traps EVERY day (maybe even twice a day), as the little animals will die in there if left too long. (Mice Cubes are clear-ish, so you can see right through them if there's a mouse in there or not). Of course, you will have put a little piece of cracker with peanut butter (or some other pungent mousey favorite) in there with them, so that'll sustain them for several hours).

Check 'em out--just search for 'Mice Cube' on They're currently under $10 for a four-pack.

Karma, and I, thank you for considering the plight of those whose fates we decide. You're awesome!

Glue traps are really cruel...

Sticky Pet Fur
Removing Sticky Residue From Pet Fur
Pets AdviceJune 22, 2010
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Leather Jacket
Removing Sticky Residue from Name Tag on Leather Jacket
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film