Training Dachshunds

I would like to know about the personality of the long haired dachshunds. Are they hard to train?

By Bonnie from Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Dachsunds are notorously difficult to train and take the longest to house train of any of the breeds. They are also very prone to intervertberal disk disease, which essentially leaves their hind legs barely usable, in pain and sometimes unable to maintain control of their bathroom functions.

The best way to know you're avoiding their health problems is to adopt an adult from a rescue. Odds are they will already be potty trained or at least much closer to it than if you buy a pup.

Dachshunds are NOT hard to train at all as long as you understand the breed. They are a very stubborn little dog, and so it takes a lot of patience and persistence on your part. I had many dachshunds growing up and have 2 now. Trained all of them myself very easily and successfully.

The best method to use with them is the reward system. They are extremely eager to please their people but only want to learn on their terms. I have always used tiny bits of treats for rewards. But it has to be doggy treats, not people treats. I use the bags of chunky beef treats and cut each one into 4-6 pieces, giving one piece along with lots and lots of praise with everything they do right. If they do something wrong a simple stern "no!" has always sufficed.

Good luck with yours!

Pets Dogs Training AdviceOctober 30, 2009
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog