Cooking Oil Stain on Leather Couch

Can anyone suggest how to remove cooking oil stains from a brown leather couch ottoman?

I'm tempted to rub a light layer of olive oil all over the piece to mask the two spots given the ottoman seems to be lighter in color than the couch anyway. Thoughts?

Thanks,
TBrad from CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

i would ask in a furniture store and otherwise cover with brown paper or similar and Iron with a hot iron to absorb the grease

I wouldn't recommend using an iron on a leather couch because it might ruin the leather. You could try a little grease fighting dish soap on a damp sponge and apply it just to the spot. But it would be better to see what the manufacturer recommends.

If the original oil spot is olive oil, it probably wouldn't hurt the leather to use it on the rest of the top of the ottoman but might make it sticky. I'd decide depending on how the spot took the olive oil, if it isn't sticky, then putting more on would probably be okay. Leather likes animal oils best.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I would try rubbing in some cornstarch or talcum powder on the spots and see if it will absorb. Then you could try a dishwashing soap if that doesn't work. This is recommended for grease on some fabrics. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. When moving to our new house the deep fryer spilled on the leather seat. I have already tried dish soap and windex. The couch just keeps getting sticky and has a horriable smell. I think I will try the brown paper and the iron. Thanks again

You may find that if your leather type is aniline stretching the leather a bit and then just time may make this stain go away. Be carefull not to inject to many products or even just moisture to the area.. It is very typical for these type of stains to get larger from to many cleaning attempts..

You can check out leather types here

http://mobileleatherservice.com/LeatherTypes.html

I tried overdew's trick with the cornstarch on a light grey leather shoe I accidentally got Goo Gone on when cleaning gum off the sole. It worked very well! The spot is now only slightly tan (probably from some reaction with the leather dye), but the stain is much much lighter than it was before! I probably only notice it since I know where it should be, but thankfully the spot was back near the heel! :)

First find out what type of leather you own before attempting to any serious stain removal and odor removal. If you apply LeatherMaster Cleaner to the stained area and as you are drying it, you can squeeze the leather as if your pinching skin and you'll notice the stain will disolve into the leather.

For more info: www.supremecareleatherservice.com

or email supremecare@sbcglobal.net

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureMay 19, 2005
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 22, 2016 at 4:39:48 AM on 10.0.2.137 in 520 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.