Removing a Cooking an Oil Stain on a Leather Couch

Category Furniture
Oil can stain leather furniture and must be removed carefully to avoid further damage. This is a guide about removing a cooking an oil stain on a leather couch.

Can anyone suggest how to remove cooking oil stains from a brown leather couch ottoman?

I'm tempted to rub a light layer of olive oil all over the piece to mask the two spots given the ottoman seems to be lighter in color than the couch anyway. Thoughts?

Thanks,
TBrad from CA

Answers

Best Answer

I wouldn't recommend using an iron on a leather couch because it might ruin the leather. You could try a little grease fighting dish soap on a damp sponge and apply it just to the spot. But it would be better to see what the manufacturer recommends.

If the original oil spot is olive oil, it probably wouldn't hurt the leather to use it on the rest of the top of the ottoman but might make it sticky. I'd decide depending on how the spot took the olive oil, if it isn't sticky, then putting more on would probably be okay. Leather likes animal oils best.
Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

I would try rubbing in some cornstarch or talcum powder on the spots and see if it will absorb. Then you could try a dishwashing soap if that doesn't work. This is recommended for grease on some fabrics. Good luck

By carol (Guest Post)

i would ask in a furniture store and otherwise cover with brown paper or similar and Iron with a hot iron to absorb the grease

By patty (Guest Post)

Thanks for the suggestions. When moving to our new house the deep fryer spilled on the leather seat. I have already tried dish soap and windex.

The couch just keeps getting sticky and has a horriable smell. I think I will try the brown paper and the iron. Thanks again