Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line

Roots growing into your sewer line can cause a lot of problems including backed-up plumbing. This is a guide about getting rid of roots in a sewer line.

house with trees
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I live in a very old little cottage house and the plumbing has become an issue because of the huge tree in the back yard, probably about 100 years old.

We would like to change from Charmin to a toilet paper that biodegrades quickly. Which toilet paper breaks down the fastest? And would using something like RidX help with a traditional sewer system?

Thank you!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Buy any kind of quick-dissolve toilet paper that is made for RV use. If you're not sure where to look for this, I usually buy specialty products on Amazon.

Read More Answers...

What can I use to keep tree roots from growing into my plumbing? I had a real bad backup recently. I mean even into the washing machine. The plumbing bill was almost $500.00, not to mention the all day cleanup. The plumber said the problem was tree roots growing into the pipes. I've heard there's something you can put in your drain that will dissolve roots and prevent this problem. Anyone know what it is and where I can get it? I don't know what kind of pipes I have. The house was built in 1973 and was considered state of the art then. It is not a septic tank, it is city plumbing. Removing the trees is not an option (most of them aren't even mine).

By Joanie from South Norfolk , VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a plumber friend that told me after lines were roater rooter out to put salt in the water tank of toilet to kill root,especially in spring & fall. I bought a cattle salt block & I chip off some of it & put it in the tank. I haven't had any trouble for years.

Read More Answers...

What is a good way to rid tree roots in the sewer lines? Our landlord will not pay to have this fixed.

Rebecca from Provo, Utah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with your state for the booklet Tenants and landlords. In most states, the landlord is held responsible for the sewer line on his property. The land is his property, you are only renting.

Read More Answers...

How do I know if I have roots in my sewers?

Nora from Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you Kvaak, Lgoff15, Kimsis, for all your input. Nora

Read More Answers...
    Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingApril 15, 2013
    White Low Flow Toilet
    Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
    Closeup of a gopher.
    Getting Rid of Gophers
    A home with lots of trees and bushes.
    Homemade Root Killer
    View of the water line.
    Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 1, 2016 at 2:53:22 AM on 10.0.1.132 in 378 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.