Alternative to Heartgard

I have a 4 yr old Pomeranian and gave her Heartgard. It made her hair fall out. Is there anything else I can use besides that?

Lana from Fort Washington, MD

Do you live where there is heartworm? Does she go outside

where she is exposed to grass other dogs go on? If not,

why does she need it?

pikka

Your vet should know the answer to that question and is the best person to ask for medical advice.

Ask your vet what they would recommend. Heartworm medicine is a definite necessity but there should be one that would not cause her hair to fall out.

Definitely check with your vet. there are other products with different ingredients. heartgard has ivermectin as the heartworm preventive. Heartworm disease is caused by the bite of an infected mosquito, different than intestinal worms picked up from other dogs. two totally different types. also tall grass is where you would pick up ticks, another different issue.

I do not buy heartguard for my dog. I buy my ivermectrin thru a feed supply for cattle. You just give your dog the appropiate amount by their weight and size. You just squish it down their throat or you put it on their food.

My husband and I have been doing this for close to 15 years and we live in the hot climate of Florida where you have to protect the dog from heart worm.

Write to me if you want more info. My sister is now doing it with her 4 beagles. Saves a ton of money. Costs me $25 every 3 years and my doggy weighs in at 102 lbs.

Good luck,

Laura

There is Interceptor, Advantage Multi or Revolution just to name a few alternatives to Heartgard. I doubt that Heartgard made her hair fall out. Stress, Cushings Disease, Allergies, Mange and Infections are much more common causes. There are also Thryoid problems and with Pomeranians something called Alopecia X. Heartworms are transmitted by mosquitos and everyone gets bitten by them so you can't quit prevention all together. But there are plenty of alternatives out there.

try iverheart plus. it works on my dogs.

Pets HealthDecember 12, 2007
hdtv
Saving Money on an HD Antenna
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Stick Deodorant
Alternative Uses for Stick Deodorants
🎄