BathroomHome Improvement

Changing to a Different Type of Tub Stopper

I am trying to convert my tub stopper to a pop up style or twist and turn because the lever style is jammed and i have no access to change the whole works out. My first pop up stopper had too big a thread so I got one that had a sleeve with two different threads on it. The smaller thread size would go in about a 1/4 inch and lock up. It turned out it has a fine thread pattern and my drain fitting has a coarser thread. Where can I get a drain stopper with the coarse thread on the smaller portion?

David from Clarksville, TN

Try Home Depot or Lowes plumbing department. If you can't find what you want check the yellow pages for a small plumbing store, they sell a lot of specialty items that Home Depot or Lowes doesn't carry.

Been there done that, The threads are different in my heel portion compared to the one on the stopper i bought at either place. The tub fixtures are about 20 years old. Maybe they used different thread patterns then.

I see another person has suggested Lowes or Home Depot. The people who work there are especially helpful and seem to know exactly what it is you need.

I wanted to tell you about my drain and plug. The plug in my tub leaks. So I bought a round plastic that goes atop the plug. It works very well. It was made for this purpose, but I dont know what to call it. lol... I think I might have bought it at Dollar Tree, but its been so many years ago that I cant say for sure.

Good luck