Repairing a Broken Couch Frame

Fixing a broken couch may seem daunting, especially when it is covered with upholstery. This is a guide about repairing a broken couch frame.

Man Repairing a Broken Couch Frame
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My neighbor gave me her sofa when she moved, but because of the small doors of our apt. they had to remove 1 of the sectional backs to get it through the door. Now it's broken even more.

I can't afford to get a new one and the other issue is even if I could afford it: our apts. are national landmarks so the size of the doors are the same width as they were back when they were originally built which makes it challenging to buy furniture that fits through them. It's an honor to be here, but a challenge all the same.

Anyway, this one has already broken a hole in our wall when it broke further when someone leaned on it too hard. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this can be fixed easily which I'm doubting or if you can refer me to a you tube video or website to show me how to try to rebuilt a sort of frame and make a new cushion. I'm a newbie, but I'm pretty good at catching on to things. Thank you to anyone who can help,

view of damage
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a suede 2 piece sectional. The back of the couch wood broke kinda in half. Can you tell me what to do and if I remove the staples should I get a staple gun to put the fabric on and can the wood in the back be saved?

By Fia from Pittsburg, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This does sound like a repair that you might be able to do yourself, but I would suggest you find someone who can help you, since you do not sound like you have a lot experience with home repair. I would think that you have to replace the broken piece of wood, and if the upholstery material is stapled on, you will need a staple gun to reapply it.

The first thing you need to do is to take it apart and see what you are dealing with. It may be that it is not worth fixing, and that you toss it and find a replacement piece. However, if you think you will be able to repair it, try googling for information about re-upholstery and furniture repair.

So my slightly obese roommate has managed to damage our very nice couch. From what I can tell, the frame has cracked/splintered in two places on the part of the couch where your back would rest from him crashing down onto it. What would the best way to repair this? Do I need to cut into the fabric? Thanks for your help.

Pete from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The back of my couch frame was sat on and the wood seems to be broken off almost completely. I'm not sure if glue will repair this completely or if there is any way really. Any suggestions other than glue? Or will the glue work perfectly fine? How long should I leave the glue on to dry if that is the only way?

Read More Answers...
    Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasJanuary 29, 2015
    Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
    Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
    Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
    Repairing Couch Springs
    A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
    Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
    Fabric Couch
    Repairing a Broken Arm on a Fabric Couch
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2016 at 4:45:43 PM on 10.0.1.111 in 275 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.