Creative Uses for Scrap Lumber

I've got a ton of scrap lumber, and I'm looking for some creative uses for it.

By decksbydave from Milton, Ontario

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Have you considered bluebird houses?

My first thought is bird houses or feeders. Many bird species use houses and if you look up the Audubon Society you can find the right size house for the species you'd like to host along with the right size hole and how high up to drill the hole. It will also tell you where to put your birdhouse for the best results. I have about 25 different birdhouses on my one acre lot and I have bluebirds, Carolina Chickadees, House Wrens and Carolina Wrens nesting in them every year. They don't use every house but they use several. Birdhouses and feeders also make great gifts.

Depending on what type or size of lumber you have, creating sets of nicely sanded building blocks for children is one of the nicest ways to use up bits and pieces of wood. My hubby had a custom furniture and cabinet shop, and together we'd cut and sand pieces of 2"x"4"'s, 2"x6" 's and 1"x4"'s

into great blocks for all our grandchildren. I sewed medium to large sized drawstring bags using bright-colored cotton fabric, and we filled the bags to brimming with natural wood building locks. I don't think anything was ever played with more than those blocks.

After our grandies grew up, we continued to make those bags of blocks and donated them to children's hospital gift shops. They went very quickly too. So obviously, many children loved the

blocks. They inspire creativity as no other toys do, and if you sand them carefully, then add a coat of wax, they are much prettier than any store-bought blocks. Be sure to include some triangular cut blocks for making rooftops, and lots of pieces that are just plain log type. You are limited by your own imagination only.

Have fun while you're making them too. All the best,

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

My Husband one year at Christmas used scrap 2x4s he had at work to make the word "JOY." We put it out in the front yard and everyone complimented it. We left it natural because it fit the environment better. But you can paint it, stencil it, or even wrap it in twinkle lights.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Bin of scrap wood.
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Wood
Crafts WoodworkingOctober 11, 2009
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Rustic birdhouse.
Scrap Wood Birdhouses
A large stick of fresh lumber.
Building Wood and Lumber Oozing Sap
A man cutting down a tree.
Selling Trees on Your Land for Lumber
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 1:03:57 AM on 10.0.1.72 in 333 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.