Creative Uses for Scrap Lumber

By decksbydave 1

I've got a ton of scrap lumber, and I'm looking for some creative uses for it.

By decksbydave from Milton, Ontario

Showing: Answers Sort

By Joyce Lambert 31 146 Flag

Have you considered bluebird houses?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Gailya Illsley 7 47 Flag

My first thought is bird houses or feeders. Many bird species use houses and if you look up the Audubon Society you can find the right size house for the species you'd like to host along with the right size hole and how high up to drill the hole. It will also tell you where to put your birdhouse for the best results. I have about 25 different birdhouses on my one acre lot and I have bluebirds, Carolina Chickadees, House Wrens and Carolina Wrens nesting in them every year. They don't use every house but they use several. Birdhouses and feeders also make great gifts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Julia 147 1,074 Flag

Depending on what type or size of lumber you have, creating sets of nicely sanded building blocks for children is one of the nicest ways to use up bits and pieces of wood. My hubby had a custom furniture and cabinet shop, and together we'd cut and sand pieces of 2"x"4"'s, 2"x6" 's and 1"x4"'s

into great blocks for all our grandchildren. I sewed medium to large sized drawstring bags using bright-colored cotton fabric, and we filled the bags to brimming with natural wood building locks. I don't think anything was ever played with more than those blocks.

After our grandies grew up, we continued to make those bags of blocks and donated them to children's hospital gift shops. They went very quickly too. So obviously, many children loved the

blocks. They inspire creativity as no other toys do, and if you sand them carefully, then add a coat of wax, they are much prettier than any store-bought blocks. Be sure to include some triangular cut blocks for making rooftops, and lots of pieces that are just plain log type. You are limited by your own imagination only.

Have fun while you're making them too. All the best,

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dawn 3 7 Flag

My Husband one year at Christmas used scrap 2x4s he had at work to make the word "JOY." We put it out in the front yard and everyone complimented it. We left it natural because it fit the environment better. But you can paint it, stencil it, or even wrap it in twinkle lights.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Bin of scrap wood.
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Wood
Crafts WoodworkingOctober 11, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Bin of scrap wood.
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Wood
Rustic birdhouse.
Scrap Wood Birdhouses
A large stick of fresh lumber.
Building Wood and Lumber Oozing Sap
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2016 at 1:39:08 AM on 10.0.1.37 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings