Cleaning Melted Crayons Off a Car Seat

Melted crayon wax in the car can be a challenge to remove. This guide is about cleaning melted crayons off a car seat.

July 24, 2015 Flag

Supplies needed:

• plastic card such as a credit card or hotel key card (which is what I used)
  • baby oil
  • clean scrap towel
  • soapy water
  • sponge

NOTE: the seats in my car are black, leather seats. The leather is not a real soft leather, it is a durable leather. The specific car I have is a BMW 328GT. If you have any other kind of leather I would suggest trying this in a small spot on the underside just to make sure it goes okay.

Using the plastic card take some time to scrape off as much of the crayon as possible. It's easiest to do the bigger pieces when the wax is cooler so that it can pop off.

I let the rest of it heat up in the sun a little, rolled down the windows of the car and let the sun beat in. Once it has melted a tad, squirt some baby oil onto the wax, or all over the seat so that the seat is evenly oiled. Spread it around with the towel to cover all of the wax. Be sure not to wipe it off, just spread it around. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Using the towel rub hard in small circular motions to remove. I had to do this about 8-10 times, Wipe/oil/wipe/oil, repeat.

Once you feel that you've gotten as much of the crayon off as possible use the soapy water and sponge to clean off the oil. I also used a spray bottle with water in it to rinse the seat after I washed it with the soap. So soap/rinse/soap/rinse. I did this about three times. Just wanted to be sure all of the oil was off of the seat. Don't want people getting oil marks on their butts!

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

Final cleaning of hat can be done by placing cap on top rack of empty dishwasher add detergent and wash on normal cycle.

June 17, 2008 Flag

My son left his crayons in my car and it melted on my cloth seats. How do I get it out?

Queenb80201 from Clinton, Ohio

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also found WD-40 to be very good. I used an empty mechanical pencil to pick off the caked on crayon. and then used q-tips dipped in the WD-40 to dissolve and clean the crayons. Worked great Thanks!

I had a multicolored mess in my backseat. I just used WD40 and paper towels and it did great, but still a less noticable stain. I will retry and probably use a stain remover, but the WD-40 DOES WORK!!!

My daughter left a box of crayons in our car, which melted down the plush fabric, backseat. I used mineral oil and it removed the dried melted crayons, without staining the car seats. She also had gotten dark red lipstick on her dress, and the mineral oil removed it also, without ruining her dress!

Scrape off any excess crayon with the dull edge of a knife or your fingernail. Be careful not to create more of a mess. This step to remove the crayon even further:

Iron the spot using brown paper bag, very absorbent towel, paper or unpainted cardboard being careful with temperature of the iron.

To completely remove the Stain: Best secret of all sprinkle baking soda over area, rub into stain, then vacuum repeat the process. Use this for all stains. No one wants the smell of WD-40 in their car.

Place a old towel over the wax and then lay a warm iron on the towel.The wax will melt to the towel.

May 2, 2007 Flag

I don't see my dilemma in any of the postings. My daughters left a box of crayons in the back seat of my car. Of course, they melted all over the back seat, but also onto the visor of a specially made baseball cap. Surely, I cannot throw that in the washing machine. Short of taking it to the dry cleaners, does anyone have any ideas?

Use a sheet of absorbent paper (like a paper grocery bag) and your household iron. Place the paper on the wax and the setting on the iron on low and iron over the paper. (have several sheets of paper ready if it's a big job). Good luck!!!

Maybe you could put the cap in the freezer. Once the wax is frozen stiff it might peel off.

I know the product GOO GONE (orange smelling liquid NOT GOOF OFF ) works wonders on crayons on my daughters high chair. I also used it to take crayon off my pants. Give it a try. HOWEVER, when using this, you will have to wash with soap and water after. Also, you can put caps in the washer. I have done it many time. They sell little plastic enclosures for them to fit in and not get damaged in the wash BUT I have put them in wash without it you just have to reshape comes out. Its best to let it set on a bowl to reshape and dry over a rounded object like a head sort of speak). Good luck!

I had crayon on a white skirt that had been through the dryer twice it was awful! A friend suggester Lestiol I had to rub it in and wash the skirt 2 or3 times but ie worked beautifully! just the smell when you are using it

June 17, 2008 Flag

My niece left a yellow crayon in the back seat of my car and it melted. Does anybody have any tips on how I can get this out without damaging the fabric? I chipped away most of it but there's still a big yellow spot where is melted into the weave of the fabric.

Amber from Nashvegas

Answers:

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

Best thing to do is scrape off as much of the crayon as possible with a blunt knife. Vacuum the residue.

Place brown paper over the stain and iron on a medium heat until all crayon wax has transferred onto the paper. (10/04/2006)

By Scottish Girl

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

Happened to me too. 4 Year old fun! Whoopee.

I tried multiple approaches. 1st scraping off excess with credit card 2nd lifting with medium steam iron, old towels, and paper towels, 3rd Goo Gone, 4th WD-40, 5th upholstery shampoo.

Lots of work, but finally have it nearly unnoticeable, except for one slight problem. Left the iron in one spot too long, and have a slight discoloration from that. Bummer. That was my only mistake. Be very careful with the iron.

I would do it almost the same way again, except, I'd use the WD-40 first and Goo-Gone second, because the GooGone is citrus, and leaves a nice smell, while WD-40 leaves an unpleasant chemical odor. Also the WD-40 dissolves the crayon much faster.

If you don't have GooGone then I'd follow up the WD-40 with some other nice smelling upholstery cleaner, and a steam-vac if you have one. (05/01/2007)

By jere

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

Using tips from this web page, I just now cleaned up some crayons melted into the fabric of my car seat. Here's what I did:

1) scrape off as much of the crayon as you can. (using putty knife, old credit card, etc.)
2) spray WD-40 on crayon residue
3) wipe off with paper towells
4) repeat steps 2 & 3 until the mess is gone

It worked!!! (05/29/2007)

By Justin

Melted Crayons Off Car Seat

WD-40 worked like a charm. (07/22/2007)

By Tony A.

September 26, 2006 Flag

My children left a crayon on the back seat of my car. Neither one of them have admitted guilt. It melted. It is a neon green color. It doesn't match too well to the grey fabric seats. Anyone have a suggestion on how I could remove this stain without replacing the seats? The car isn't even a year old yet.

Laura Lange

Answers:

Iron it Off

The best way I've found to get out wax or crayon stains is to use the iron. If you can get your iron out to the car, place an old clean rag on the crayon and iron over it on a medium (or low) setting. It works every time, also good to get candle drippings off of tablecloths or carpeting!

Good Luck! (07/29/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Goo Gone

The same happened to me. I used Goo Gone. It took out 99% of the stain. I'm sold on it. (08/16/2005)

By Signe

Iron

As a single father I have found a way of using an iron! I just put a damp rag over the crayon and iron over it! Most of it comes out (07/21/2006)

By Dean

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoAugust 19, 2012
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Making recycled letter crayons.
Making Recycled Crayons
Craft Ideas Using Recycled Crayons, Uses for Old Crayons
Uses for Old Crayons
Craft Ideas Using Recycled Crayons
🎉
🎄