Caring for a Pit Bull

I just got a 1 and a half year old red nose Pit Bull. What should I feed him? How many times?

By shico

Most people give their pets a combination of dry and canned food. (We give our cats canned food for dinner and dry throughout the day.) Pet food bags/boxes/cans all have feeding directions on them. Make sure you take your new dog to the vet for a thorough check-up and at that time you can get his/her suggestions.

We always fed ours 1 can at breakfast and another at supper time. They had dry dog food and fresh water available to them 24/7. Our pit was named "Sugar Baby" and he lived nearly 10 years on this regiment of feedings.

Please change the type & flavors of food that they eat (what I mean is) Do not feed them a 40lb bag of dry dog food because it was on sale and then buy the same thing again because it was still on sale.

(Can you imagine eating the same thing {40 to 80 lbs of it}?

We used to buy different dry foods (5 & 10lb bags) that were on sale and mix it/stir it up in a outdoor trash can that had a top/lid that was used only for their food. This way you are having them eat different flavors of foods so they will not get bored with it (their food) and you will find that just like yourself they have favorites too and also ones that they will turn their nose up too and won't eat. I used to say to my children "you see there, they have taste buds too".

Personally, I feel that you will never find a better friend then they are to you...good luck to you!

My hubby's method has worked for him for as many years as I can remember. He doesn't give canned food, but keeps good-quality dry food (our brand is Diamond Premium) available 24/7. He will occasionally add leftover gravy from our meals to the kibble for a treat, though.

We have three dogs: a 6-year-old English mastiff, a 3-year-old pit mix, and a 2-year-old American Pit Bull Terrier. They eat what they want, when they want, and everyone is healthy and happy. Of course, don't forget to keep fresh water on hand. Best to you!

When I first got my 2 pits as puppies would fed them a cup of dry food for breakfast and lunch and 1 cup of dry mixed with a can of dog food for dinner. I found that their stool quality was way to mushy, so after a few month and now (a year later) I give them about a cup of dry in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. Try not too fed them too late, like humans they need enough time to digest. Once a week I will give them a can of wet food and if we have an extra piece of chicken her and there, I might give it to them. I use Nutra brand I get it from Petsmart about $40 for a big bag.

It all depends on the weight of the dog, but at that age he has to eat 2 to 4 times every day it works best mornings and evenings.

Pit Bull
Pit Bull Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 27, 2009
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull Mix
Pit Bull Mix Photos
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull
Training a Rescued Pit Bull