Pit Bull Breed Information and Photos

Category Pit Bull
These popular guard dogs are a sturdy, medium sized pet and great companions for many people. This guide contains pit bull breed information and photos.

My baby is 5 months old and I was told he is a Pit Bull. I've had Pit Bulls my whole life. I know he is a Pit. I'm curious if he should be this size. He will be 6 months October 25th. He was the runt of the litter. The absolute smallest one. I'm not sure if he is supposed to be this size or if because he is the runt he may take longer to grow. Let me know what you all think!

Answers

Best Answer

He does seem somewhat skinny. We had the same issue with our dog. Turns out he was not dewormed when he was supposed to have been. They did it once as a puppy but never followed up before we got him. If a puppy has worms they eat alot but have a hard time gaining weight.

They will often have a bloated belly and you may or may not see evidence of worms in their fecal matter. I would suggest contacting your local vet and voicing your concerns but just from my experience once our dog completed the cycle of dewormer medicine he was able to start gaining weight.

Best Answer

What an adorable pup! He may end up being a smaller dog, I have had pitbulls my entire life and we have had some that vary in size. Not all of them turn out to be as big as the "mainstream" pits are now.

• Do you have him on a food specified for puppies? Puppy food tends to have a higher calorie count per serving to help with their body's needs. They grow and develop so fast, as well as all of the playing they do. This causes them to require a higher calorie intake for the day. Some puppy food also include vitamins that aid in the development process.
  • Ad

• Has he been dewormed and had all of his vaccines? It is also very important to get him on a monthly preventive. These can prevent fleas, ticks, heartworm disease and intestinal parasites such as hookworms, roundworms, etc. There are many different kinds, I recommend discussing with your veterinarian which one would suit your pet best. Intestinal parasites can cause pets not to gain any weight.
  • Ideal weight for every pet is different. It often doesn't go off a specific number on the scale but on their body scale. Your vet will be able to assess your pet by looking/feeling their body, rib area, etc. to tell you if your pet is at an ideal body scale, underweight or overweight for their age, breed, gender, etc.

I hope this was helpful!

My American Pit Bull terrier weighs 45lbs at a year and 6 months. Is that right?

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like your Pit Bull is about the right weight for his age. They are any where between 30 to 60 lbs when full grown , and between 18 to 20 inches in height.

Life span is 12 to 14 years, so you have many years yet to enjoy your pit Bull.

I have a 5 month old Pit Bull and her feet smell like corn chips. I tried putting powder on them, but that didn't work. She also has a fishy smell, the fish smell comes and goes before she has to go to the bathroom and after.

Katrina from Albany, NY

Answers

My beagle's feet also smell like corn chips! The fishy smell may indicate your pup's anal sacs need to be expressed. Some dogs scoot their bottoms on the floor when the sacs are full but my dog doesn't. She just bites at her back by her tail as if a flea is biting there and licks constantly. I take her to the vet to have them expressed. Some folks do it themselves. The liquid in the sacs really do have a strong fish smell. Nasty.

A dog's feet is one of the places her scent glands are located. Therefore, if they smell like corn chips, it's because she's eating corn! You might want to change her food to something else.

As for the fishy smell, yup, it's anal glands. Apparently, you can help this by giving your dog more fiber, but I haven't had any luck with it.

By Sara (Guest Post)

Many dogs have a "corn chip" smell on their feet - there is nothing you can do to get rid of the smell. It is just the way it is from their feet having direct contact with EVERYTHING.

I agree with all of the comments regarding expressing the anal sacs. I HIGHLY recommend taking your dog to the vet or groomer to get expressed. We did it ourselves at home one time and it resulted in human vomit! The smell is the most awful smell on earth.

By Cee Rock (Guest Post)

That is very strange. Maybe it's something you're feeding the dog.

By Alex (Guest Post)

Dogs sweat from their feet... I've always thought dog feet smelled like fresh popcorn :) When you wash your dog's feet, be sure to rinse them well as any soap left behind will irritate the delicate skin and footpads and will increase the sweating and smell.

By brittneylea18 AT yahoo.com (Guest Post)

OMG! It is so weird that I read this just 2 days ago.

My boyfriend and I noticed our 6 month old pit bull puppy's feet smelled like fritos!

My dog is a female. She 11 mouths old. I know she is a Pit, but don't know what kind. I was told ahe was a blue farm and something else. She is really strong and locks her jaw.

She is 6 months old and she's very tall and slender. I am wondering what breed?

I just got a 1 and a half year old red nose Pit Bull. What should I feed him? How many times?

By shico

Answers

Most people give their pets a combination of dry and canned food. (We give our cats canned food for dinner and dry throughout the day.) Pet food bags/boxes/cans all have feeding directions on them. Make sure you take your new dog to the vet for a thorough check-up and at that time you can get his/her suggestions.

We always fed ours 1 can at breakfast and another at supper time. They had dry dog food and fresh water available to them 24/7. Our pit was named "Sugar Baby" and he lived nearly 10 years on this regiment of feedings.

Please change the type & flavors of food that they eat (what I mean is) Do not feed them a 40lb bag of dry dog food because it was on sale and then buy the same thing again because it was still on sale.

(Can you imagine eating the same thing {40 to 80 lbs of it}?

We used to buy different dry foods (5 & 10lb bags) that were on sale and mix it/stir it up in a outdoor trash can that had a top/lid that was used only for their food. This way you are having them eat different flavors of foods so they will not get bored with it (their food) and you will find that just like yourself they have favorites too and also ones that they will turn their nose up too and won't eat. I used to say to my children "you see there, they have taste buds too".

Personally, I feel that you will never find a better friend then they are to you...good luck to you!

My hubby's method has worked for him for as many years as I can remember. He doesn't give canned food, but keeps good-quality dry food (our brand is Diamond Premium) available 24/7. He will occasionally add leftover gravy from our meals to the kibble for a treat, though.
We have three dogs: a 6-year-old English mastiff, a 3-year-old pit mix, and a 2-year-old American Pit Bull Terrier. They eat what they want, when they want, and everyone is healthy and happy. Of course, don't forget to keep fresh water on hand. Best to you!

When I first got my 2 pits as puppies would fed them a cup of dry food for breakfast and lunch and 1 cup of dry mixed with a can of dog food for dinner. I found that their stool quality was way to mushy, so after a few month and now (a year later) I give them about a cup of dry in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. Try not too fed them too late, like humans they need enough time to digest. Once a week I will give them a can of wet food and if we have an extra piece of chicken her and there, I might give it to them. I use Nutra brand I get it from Petsmart about $40 for a big bag.

Anonymous

It all depends on the weight of the dog, but at that age he has to eat 2 to 4 times every day it works best mornings and evenings.

I got my puppy 3 weeks ago and was told it's a Pit Bull bully. I've been asked if his full blood or a mix and if so what type of Pit Bull is he? What do you all think?

What type off Pit Bull is this?

Her name is Coco nd she is 7 months old. I want to know if she is at her right size. If she is not then could y'all help me out by telling me what to feed her. Oh one more thing what is her blood line? Thank you so much to whomever answers.

Answers

go to your local co op and buy a bag of sportmix adult bite size dry dog food and get their pure brewers yeast

Here is how to tell if your dog is at the right weight:
http://www.dumm  dogs-weight.html

This is Charlie; she's now 20 weeks old. I got her when she had just turned 7 weeks from a drug addict who was not taking care of her. Well she also didn't know anything about her either. I've done some research of my own, but still want to know other opinions. She's mostly white with dark grey spots. Is she an American Pit Bull?

What specific type Pit do you think this is? I know he's full blooded just not what specific type. He's almost 11 months old and weights 70 lbs.

When I got my 2 year old dog Kane, 6 months ago I was told he was a "purebred" American Pit Bull Terrier. At the time, I thought there were only 2 categories he could fall into - purebred and mixed breed. It wasn't until recently, that I discovered there are several types of Pit Bull (i.e.: Red Nose, Blue Nose, Brindle, etc.) Yet, I haven't been able to figure out, which type Kane is. It makes no difference, to me, if he is purebred or mixed. I would just like to know, which category Kane "may" belong to. So, I am hoping that (someone who possesses more, 'Pit Bull expertise' than I) will see the pictures of my sweet, adorable, Kane and be able to determine which Pit Bull type he resembles. Any and all thoughts, on-the-subject, are welcome! Thanks guys.
Christine

He weighs about 65-70 lbs, depending on how much I feed him. I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on him or his breed? Would you say my male dog is a pure breed American Pitbull terrier?

Answers

Bodi does look purebred to me. And very handsome. My only concerns about a staffordshire terrier would be to have a good look at his breeding. A popular breed is sometimes not carefully bred for personality traits. In fact some are carefully bred for problematic personality traits. If you do not know his breeding you need to watch for aggressive behavior with other dogs or children. They can be the best dogs ever, but because of careless breeding you need to be careful.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Tyson is a 1 year old Pitbull. We got him when he was a puppy, around Aug of 08. He likes to chew up things, run and play, play, play!

I didn't want anything to do with pits before Tyson. But he's a GREAT dog. Really changed my mind about pits. He looks mean, but he is the most loving, gentle dog. I love him!

By Tirzah from San Diego,CA

Tyson (Pitbull)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

I got my baby in October 2010. Monster is now 5 months old. My boyfriend's friend's Pit Bull had 10 puppies, and we took him off her hands. It was the best decision of my life.

He eats my slippers and follows me everywhere. Monster is my whole world. He always makes me smile. He is a hyper dog, yet knows when to relax. He loves to run around like crazy and eat slippers. He is the most friendly dog I have ever known.

By erin lopez

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

Belle is a 2 1/2 year old Blue Brindle Pitbull. Someone my husband knew, left her locked in a cage all day and he didn't have time for her so we took her when she was 5 months old.

Belle loves to go on trips with us, whether it is to the park or on a road trip. She love going bye bye! Our dog is very smart. She listens very well and plays great with our kids. She is also very protective of our whole family. We love her and I am so glad she came into our life.

By Jackie from Indianapolis, IN

Belle (Pitbull)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

Jemma Bleue is a 5 month old pit bull. She's the typical puppy. She likes to bring sticks in the house and then chew them up, drag around things she shouldn't have, finds things I never knew we had, terrorize the cats and harass the older dogs!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14
Load More