Tips For Opening Jars

I have always had trouble opening jars and bottles, my hands slip rather than grip. Yesterday I took some "double stick foam mounting tape" and put a 1 inch piece longways on the side of the lid where I would put the side of my thumb and another on the jar where I put my palm. No more slip, and pop, it opened! Another cheap substitution for a man!

By AuPouvoir from Fort Myers, FL

I have good luck opening stubborn jars while wearing a pair of rubber gloves. I get a good grip on the lid and jar. Works for me.

Loved the last line "another cheap substitution for a man" too funny and sad but true. The other night I was trying to open a jar of olives and thought " too bad my bf is not here tonight"... still laughing...

A wide rubber band around the lid often helps too.

I have a little rubber circle, just about 6-7" across. It's a great gripper, and reusable, too! Ironically, my elderly hubby and I both use it these days.

I also have a problem opening jars. Usually, I can get something under the edge of the top and pry it up enough to loosen the vacuum seal. Once that's done, the top comes off easily. A good tool for this is a paint can opener. I keep one in my kitchen drawer just for this purpose.

I find that wrapping a towel around the top and twisting helps me the traction I need to open the jar. I use wrenches of various sizes to open things like paste or glue jars or tubes that have glued themselves shut or nail polish. Be gentle or you can break the top.

opening a pickle jar
Opening Jars and Bottles
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJanuary 21, 2010
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Plastic Bag
Opening Plastic Bags
Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands
Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands
🎄