Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands

Arthritis can make simple tasks difficult and even painful. This is a guide about opening jars with arthritic hands.

I have arthritis in my hands and it is hard to open some jar lids. So I cut a square of rubber shelf lining to use on the lid . If it is stubborn, I put the jar under hot running water for just a few seconds, dry the lid and it works for me.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

I don't know if this will help you but I have found that an old fashioned can opener (the ones with the pointy end) work well to help open jars. I pop it under the lid at a couple of places and you can hear it pop a little, like a vacuum packed item. Then it is easier to turn the lid to open it.

By Juanita (Guest Post)

After pounding the cap with a handle of a table knife, put on latex dishwashing gloves. It really helps............Do you know why we've been pounding on lids for many many years??

When you pound on the lid you're stretching the metal. My husband was a tinner. Juanita

I just flip the jar upside down and bang it flat on the floor. Have been doing this for about 20 years and never broke a jar, every jar has opened. Banging it breaks the seal.

Great Granny Vi,
Sometimes I use the rubber gloves as they have
ridges and helps open. I had a stubborn jelly jar
and as I was struggling I used the hot tap water and
finally popped the seal. I was beginning to think maybe I was not supposed to be having jelly.
"Where there is a will there is a way".