Opening Jars and Bottles

I am a senior citizen with arthritis. I find it hard to open pop bottles and milk jugs, so I decided to use my adjustable pliers and it works great. Just clamp them on the lid and twist. I store pliers in my silverware drawer so they are handy. It really saves my hands.

By Connie P. from OH

13 More Solutions

My sister gave me this useful tip. We sometimes have a hard time opening 2 liter bottles. To remedy that, we use a nut cracker. You know the kind that usually comes with the picks? It is just right to go around the lid of the bottle and, in a flash, the bottle is open.

I am 80 years old and took me all these years to figure an easy way to open jars, especially when you have no strength in your hands, anymore.

I use a paint key to open jars, especially pickle. It fits under the lip of the lid. When you press down on the handle, it releases the vacuum which breaks the seal and makes the jar easy to open.

A paint key being used to open a jar of pickles.

I have always had trouble opening jars and bottles, my hands slip rather than grip. Yesterday I took some "double stick foam mounting tape" and put a 1 inch piece longways on the side of the lid where I would put the side of my thumb and another on the jar where I put my palm.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and so have a lot of trouble opening jars. I have found that running some hot water over the jars for a couple of minutes really helps. My family often tighten the lids very tight, and I get tired of asking someone to open them for me.

If arthritis or just weak wrists prevent you or a loved one from opening some tough bottle caps, try a nut cracker. Works like a charm!

Open Caps with Nut Cracker

If you have trouble opening new jars of food, such as pickles, jams, etc. because the lid is vacuum sealed, slide the curved edge of a paint can opener under the edge of the jar top and push down or twist slightly.

I always have trouble opening nail polish bottles, especially if they have been used more than once.

I bought a gallon jar of pickles, but had to wait for my husband to come home to open the jar. My hands just weren't large enough to get a good grip on the lid. Next shopping trip, he bought something that is made to loosen oil filters from cars.

To open any jar or lid without straining your wrist or damaging the lid, use a rubber oil filter wrench. They are inexpensive and will fit any size jar you have.

Before replacing the lids on your newly opened jars of honey, Karo syrup, or molasses, line the opening of the jar with some plastic wrap. You will never had trouble opening them again!

This is a page about opening jars with arthritic hands. Arthritis can make simple tasks difficult and even painful.

Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Run hot water over top of glass jar (will expand top and loosen it slightly).

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsApril 2, 2013
🌻
🍀
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Opening-Jars-and-Bottles.html