BabyParenting

Baby is Not Crawling

Category Baby

My son is 9 months old today, and he is still not crawling. It worries me. He has three older brothers (ages 1, 2, and 4) and none of them took this long. Although it seems that I don't put him on the floor as much for fear that the others will fall on him. Is there anything that I can do to kind of push him along and get him up to speed?

By The Boys and Me from New Bern, NC

Does he scoot instead? Do the older siblings go to him and/or bring him all the things he wants. No reason to move from one comfy spot if they do. Play is a teaching skill at any youthful age. Try finding a desired object and coach him to crawl to get to it. In the long run he might never crawl, some kids go straight from sitting to standing and walking with no crawling transition. But if it's stressing you out, go to the Doc's office.

9 months isn't unreasonable. Is he "transitioning" from one position to another? (Can he get from sitting back down to his tummy; and from his tummy up to sitting?) Is he very content? (Some kids are just so mellow they are content to sit there and watch the world go by.) Is he bringing his knees up under yet, and bearing some weight on them? Does he roll in both directions? Does he tolerate "tummy time"?

I evaluate kids birth to three every day, to see if they qualify for early intervention services. I am not overly worried about a baby not crawling at nine months if the other stuff is happening, or beginning to happen.

If you are concerned, call your doctor and find out what the procedure is in your state to get a referral for early intervention. Every state has it; and it is free, or very low cost. It is a great program; designed to catch issues early, and give kids a "jump start" if they need it.

My younger brother "NEVER" crawled. At 6 months, he just started walking. I remember my mother inviting all the neighbors to witness him walking. Don't be alarmed, he may just start walking when you least expect it!

My son used to scoot on his bottom with one leg in front and one leg behind him. As a consequence of getting around really fast, he didn't bother with walking - he didn't like the falling down. He didn't walk until he was 18 months, then just up and did it. Please don't worry about this - babies have a way of doing things in their own time. Don't measure one with another - you'll end up worrying all the time.

Regards,

Leah from Down Under.

Our oldest son did not crawl until after he walked. He was a very placid baby -- never cried! Started sleeping thought the night at 1 week! We of course thought we had if all figured out on how to raise babies! And then our second son came along! He started pushing himself backward at 2 1/2 months. Was crawling shortly after and got into everything! Also did not sleep through the night until he was almost a year old.

Neither of my girls crawled. They went straight to sitting to standing and then walking (one walked at 11 months, the other not 'til 16 months). Don't measure the child's development against the other siblings. You are truly blessed to have four wonderful boys.

Take him to a doctor. If there is a reason for not crawling that needs therapy the sooner you get it started the better. Trust your gut with your baby.

Babies don't all crawl at the same rate, and boys tend to trail girls developmentally anyway. I'd research a bit online about what's developmentally appropriate before you worry yourself too much, because there's a range of ages for when crawling is appropriate and your kiddo may be fine. Just because he's not following the schedule of your other 3 doesn't mean he's not also on target, know what I mean? Make sure he has plenty of "tummy time," tempt him with toys as other posters mentioned, and make sure that his siblings aren't making it too easy for him NOT to crawl. If you continue to have concerns, by all means, take him to his doctor, because that's your prerogative as a mom!

I don't know what services are offered in NC, but in Indiana my 9-month old wasn't even sitting up by herself and I used a program called "First Steps." They sent a Physical Therapist to my home once a week for free of charge (services based on sliding scale of income). Later they sent a Speech Therapist for us as well. Now my baby girl is almost three-years old and graduated from both therapies! Try calling your local 2-1-1 to see what services are available in your area. You can also look at www.NC211.org.

Just let him learn at his own time. He will crawl or walk when he's ready. My son didn't walk till he was 16 months. Don't worry about him everyone is different.

Honey, with 3 others you should be glad you don't have him to run after yet! I can see many have told you that not all babies crawl or crawl after they walk. He's just being himself! My youngest (last of 9) wanted to be unique all his life. Maybe that's what this little guy wants to do.

Each child is different. It sounds like you are worried. What does his doctor think?

Most school districts have programs for children and can evaluate your child even a 9 month old! If your child needs help, they can get him started early. Otherwise, I bet they can give you lots of suggestions.

We moms, even experienced ones, can not think of everything. Trust your feelings and good luck!

Crawling is an important skill to learn, although not all kids crawl the same way. Jilson has some good advice, but as a mother of 3 grown kids, I would have been concerned if one of them wasn't getting mobile in some fashion at 9 months. I think you should have him checked out, as early intervention could forestall difficulties in the future. He may be fine; likely is, but it doens't hurt to have these things checked out.

Non-crawling can be a sign of a developmental disorder. Definitely have him checked by a pediatrician, just to be safe.

My daughter didn't crawl till she was nine months old either. I asked the pediatrician each time we went in if this was normal - it was fine. She crawled at nine months and walked at ten months. I've been running after her ever since.