Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Mildew Smell Coming From My Sink

I am in need of some help with my kitchen sink. It has a mildew/mold smell coming out of it, it has the slots in it so i can't stick anything down it and I don't have a garbage disposal. I have tried lemon juice, bleach, baking soda and don't know what else to try. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jen from Eau Claire, WI

By

03/17/2011

I get a mildew smell coming out of my washing machine. Any idea what is going on? And, how do I get rid of it? c major

By Scooter (Guest Post)08/10/2008

I was having this problem in my bathroom sink, The sink also has an overflow / vent built into the sink. It worked better when I poured the vinegar in and added baking soda then put the plug back in the sink so it would also flow through the overflow.

By cat (Guest Post)10/21/2007

This is really helpful- I have the same problem in our master shower. It's a brand new house, so I am assuming with the damp weather and daily showers that mildew has simply grown in the drain- thanks for the tips!

By Laura (Guest Post)05/25/2007

The first day that we moved into our rental home, I thought there was a terrible odor coming from the kitchen drain and tried everything to get rid of it with no luck.

I finally realized it was the water not the drain. I was used to well water and this was "city" water.

Needless to say, I now use a water filter in the kitchen. I still don't enjoy a shower though, I can still smell that awful odor.

By (Guest Post)05/21/2007

Yes i am sure it is the kitchen sink, when you stand next to it or walk by you can really smell it.

By (Guest Post)05/20/2007

Are you sure it originates in the kitchen? We have a bathroom right off the kitchen with a shower we never use. When the trap dries out, there is a terrible sewer smell. You have to pour water in it every once in a while to keep it from drying out. It serves as a seal to keep sewer fumes from coming back up. I also noticed it in the kitchen but it seems as though after I fixed the problem in the bathroom it also stopped in the kitchen. So look around the house for another source of the smell.

By LYnne (Guest Post)05/19/2007

I have been told to try to things. One is Tang (yes, the drink stuff). It works on getting the smell out of the dishwasher as well. The other is that lemon juice you get at the supermarket. The one in the fake lemon. I was told to use the whole thing.
First, run really hot water for about a minute straight. Then add either of these products and let sit for about ten. Then rinse with cool water.

By Sarah (Guest Post)05/18/2007

I'm having a similiar problem. I'm beginning to wonder if the pipes are old.

By Barbie (Guest Post)05/18/2007

I do not have a disposal either, my plumber recommended using a drain cleaner with enzymes...Bio Clean is the kind I bought but there are others.....you put recommended amount in luke warm water and just dump it in, do not use the sink so the enzymes get a chance to work it's way through and eat up all the residue which is causing the odor....it will also flow more freely after....I used it in my floor drain in my basement and it was amazing how much quicker the water flows out, now that the build up is gone....Good Luck......

By bonnie. (Guest Post)05/18/2007

i worked for an old school and no one ever cleaned the drain,so i always put a 1/2 guart of white vinegar and a small box of baking soda in the drain at the same time it will bubble like crazy. then run hot water after it sits about 15 mins. do this once a week or so till it opens real good. then just do it about once a month or so.... hope this helps... bonnie