Use Powdered Creamer As Emergency Milk

By Angel McDowell 2 9

Out of milk? Try powder coffee creamer!

I have used this lots of times, I can never keep milk at my house. Just put a cup of water in the microwave and heat the water up add the coffee creamer into it and use. I have used this in boxed mac and cheese, instant mashed potatoes and even scrambled eggs. It works great, my mac and cheese seems creamier than with milk. Just use equal parts of water and creamer. I have tried several brands they all work well, but my favorite is Wal-Mart's extra rich brand.

By angelbeth from Catlettsburg, KY

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I agree with the creamier. We use it in Potato soup. We just add creamer to the water the potatoes etc were cooked in. It makes great cream soups. It is great if you are a camper and don't want to use milk in cooking. k

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Misty 2 Flag

Well, I would like this idea, except for the fact that the creamer does not have anywhere near the protein that MILK does. Even buying dehydrated milk to keep on hand in case you run out of milk would be better, albeit, it may not be as creamy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Would mixing a jar of this with the dehydrated milk before adding liquids be the answer to making it taste better? Has anyone tried this?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My mistake. Mixing the two would NOT work. One takes hot water to mix and the other takes cold--sorry

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Just want to remind everyone that powdered creamer is an edible oil product, and does not have any of the nutritional value of milk or powdered milk. It has sugar and fat, mostly, and lots of odd chemicals. If you are okay with that, then go ahead.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By MagnoliaSouth 2 8 Flag

The water does NOT need to be hot to mix it. It mixes just fine when the water is at room temperature too.

As for the amounts to use, it varies. For creamy stuff I use 1 part creamer to 1 part water. For regular milk probably 1 part creamer to 2 parts water is about right. I'm sure someone will post a correction if mine are wrong.

I don't much care about the lack of protein, but I definitely wouldn't use it as a beverage. It's only good for cooking.

Also, Kraft macaroni and cheese is much better (in my opinion, as well as my entire family's) with creamer than real milk.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Martha P. 1 Flag

Thank you. I am out of milk. It's almost $4 a gallon where I live and I wanted to make muffins for breakfast.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

jug of milk
Substitutions for Milk
Previous
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 4, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
jug of milk
Substitutions for Milk
Creamer Bottles
Uses for Creamer Bottles
Powdered Milk
Using Powdered Milk
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 8:03:26 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 973 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings