Product FinderConsumer Advice

Johnson & Johnson First Aid Cream

What ever happened to Johnson and Johnson First Aid Cream? It worked well and has been a family favorite for years. I can't find it in stores. Can we buy it on-line? Any recommended substitutes?

By Don

Anonymous
Best Answer

I am fairly sure that product is no longer manufactured. Neosporin contains the same neccessary ingredients, however, I suggest using the pharmacy brand of Neosporin because it's oodles of dollars cheaper and also contains the same ingredients and ingredient amounts. I use Walgreen's Triple Antibiotic and the last tube I purchased was almost $4.00 less a tube than Neosporin.

The ingredients are NOT the same as Neosporin. My son is allergic to the ingredients of Neosporin and other antibiotic creams that is why we used J&J first aid cream.

There are several products that used to be readily available and worked amazingly well, but are no longer manufactured. J & J First Aid Cream was one. Anotber was that spray that we used to spray on our pillows at night when we had a cold. It kept my nose clear better than anything available today! Also, Vitapointe hair conditioner. My mother used to put that on my hair and then brush it dry. I did the same for my daughter and my granddaughters and each of us had hair like silk. I just found this at the Sally Beauty Supply web site. Haven't seen it in stores in almost 20 years.

A spray for your pillows and your whole bed actually is made by Norwex and it's call Mattress Cleaner. It is an organic, enzyme based spray. - it's amazing and really addresses the whole congested itchy eyes/nose things! Good Luck!!

Deeli's right. The generic brand of Neosporin (I get mine at Wal Mart, again several dollars cheaper than the brand name) is exactly the same as the Neosporin brand.

I will say tho, Deeli, that it's not the same as the first aid cream that Don was asking about. Neosporin and it's generics are more greasy than the first aid cream was. Altho it does work just as well.

The creams are suppose to be water based & absorb more. The ointments should be oil based.

Anonymous

You're so right that J&J Cream was not as greasy as it's counterparts, Cricket! It's because the cream had beeswax in it to make it creamier and I did like that about the product a lot :-)

There was also a cream called Vitamins A&D Cream put out by Eckerd drugstores (Florida?) many years ago. I believe it was like the J&J brand and is no longer produced. White House was the manufacturer and are now out of business. I used many tubes of this when raising my children and I felt like it would heal "overnight" and was never greasy.

They try to tell you that A&D Ointment is the same thing - may be - but oh so greasy. Maybe the cream was too good.

The dollar tree now sells a tube of their A&D Cream (1.00) but it is not as good as the other and I have not compared ingredients.

I called Johnson & Johnson and was told the First Aid cream was discontinued in June, 2009. I was told it was replaced with a more effective product having better healing properties, namely Neosporin. When I mentioned that I liked the old product better because it wasn't greasy, the representative told me to try the Neosporin (+) Pain Relief in the cream variety (not the ointment). So I tried it and this newer product seems just like the old stuff to me.

I found a great substitute for J&J First Aid cream - a lot cheaper, same basic ingredients (some alternate ingredients, but same effect) thwy have it at http://www.firs  d-burn-cream.htm it's under $2 and seems to work just the same.

Johnson and Johnson First Aid Cream was superior to anything else on the market, I believe, due to the ingredient Beeswax. No matter what they say, without the beeswax, it will never be the same great product. Got stung by a bee years ago. Everyday, at 4PM, severe itching attacks would occur. The beeswax stopped the itching instantly and completely. Sure wish they would bring back the original formula, and apparently so do a lot of other folks. Wake up, Johnson and Johnson. When you have a good thing, stick with it.

A huge "Amen" to those missing the J&J First Aid Cream! I will try the Neosporsin Pain Relief cream product. Sure hope it works. I wish J&J would bring back their very successful product...hello? J&J are you listening?

The products I've found most similar to J&J First Aid Cream were A-mantle (formerly Acid Mantle) and Risabal-pH. Both contain beeswax, which as others have said seems to matter.

Regrettably, Rising Pharmaceuticals seems to have discontinued Risabal-pH, and A-mantle is gobsmackingly expensive. I suppose a niche market for J&J. Still, nothing quite like it and I would have bought many a pound over the years.

Lately, Cerave seems to have the best approximation to my sense. Give it a try...

Anonymous

J&J First Aid Cream was the best I ever used. Healed raw spots (like from chafing) terrifically (sp?). I sure miss it. I contacted J&J

Anonymous

There is no replacement for J&J First Aid Cream. I agree what was said about the beeswax being the key ingredient. it is the one that promotes faster healing.

I spoke with J&J reps as well. As far as Neosporin, at least regarding my body and skin, it is both useless and greasy.

I have tried at least 7 other products from Amazon and Walmart and there is only one that I use now that has worked pretty well.

Rex EME Cream. Please try as it is the only other product that has helped me. Especially with rashes and healing. Nothing will ever beat J&J at #1. But at least I have found the #2 product. Good luck !

My brother has cancer and his fingertips are split and bleeding and painful as a result of the chemo he's had to endure. I so wanted to get him some Johnson and Johnson First Aid Cream which I have used since I was in my 20s. I am now in my 70s. I feel like once again we are screwed by corporations--more than likely for profit reasons!!

I remember cuts healing literally overnight with J&J First Aid cream. Really bummed that it no longer exists. Too low a profit margin, hey J&J? All of the other OTC stuff I've tried have been BOTH greasy (detaches the bandaids!) AND ineffective. D__n!

There is a product called "Zim's Crack Creme." It works very well for cracked and split hands. Every winter I used to have my hands crack open, ( I worked with my hands, outdoors.) This stuff is good. It can be hard to find, last time I bought it was online. Bought several tubes at once, so haven't had to buy it recently.

I have a similar problem with cracked fingertips. Try O'Keeffe's Working Hands. It did a pretty nice job on me. I cut the fingertips off some latex gloves and placed them on my fingers to keep the cream intact and away from the stuff I was doing.

I am so unhappy that J&J stopped making their First Aid Cream!!! It was a wonderful product and worked so so well!!! I don't like neosporin specifically because it is so greasy. Who needs extra greasy stuff on their skin - no one! Yikes!!! I will try the Neosporin + Pain Relief and see if it is worth using.

Whenever I am asked by my dermatologist if I want a cream or ointment, I always opt for the cream. So much better to use and heals and feels better, too!

I was so disappointed when I realized J&J First Aid Cream was no longer available. I've used it all my life. Regarding the Neosporin: I'm allergic to Neosporin or any antibiotic ointment. The cream doesn't seem to break me out quite as much, but I have to use it very sparingly. Also, I wonder how wise it is to use an antibiotic on something that might not need it? I suppose I'll try the Ambix First-Aid Cream, but like many have said, it doesn't have the beeswax. I've wondered about using white petrolatum...if it's still available.

This is the only product I have found that even comes close to J&J first aid cream.

https://www.leh  z/creams-lotions

This website also has many other natural options for dry skin - especially hands, too.