AppliancesCleaning

Cleaning a Self Cleaning Oven By Hand

Is it safe to use ammonia in a self-cleaning oven to clean without heating it up? I'd like to clean by hand, but don't know what to use.

By Peggy from CA

Anonymous

I don't know how true this is, but I have heard only use dish soap and water in a self-cleaning oven. If it is really bad, you might want to do the self-cleaning thing.

I only use a small amount of dish soap and water if I have to wipe a spill in my self clean oven. And I usually try only warm water first.

Otherwise, I will use the self clean cycle and let it do all the work for me. So much easier.

The glass on my oven door, however, I'd love to clean that! Maybe I will post that question. I always spill stuff on it and forget about it.

Self cleaning or continuous clean? Years ago I had a continuous clean and you were not supposed to use anything on it. When we moved my new range had a self cleaning oven. I recently replaced my electric range with a gas stove. I purchased the gas stove used, and although it was only a year or so old, it was absolutely filthy. I was afraid it would catch on fire if I ran the self cleaning cycle. I cleaned it with oven cleaner, then ran the cycle. It worked fine! Both of my ranges tended to have burned on food spots on the inside glass that the self cleaning cycle wouldn't removed. I used a single blade razor blade and removed it. It did not scratch the glass.

Do not use any products in your self clean oven. Read your owners manual for advice. Mine says I can wipe it with warm water and a mild soap, rinse with clear water. I hope this helps.

You can buy oven cleaner specifically for self cleaning ovens. I use this product all the time on my self cleaning oven.

My mother used to put a bowl of ammonia in her oven and leave it overnight. She said she could just wipe the oven out in the morning with no problem. I have never tried it, but the ammonia would not be touching the oven walls, so I see no harm in trying it. Sorry I don't have any more details of how she did it.