Choosing a Pet Lizard

I am thinking about getting my first pet lizard but am unsure of which lizard to choose. I would like to keep at least two in the same tank and I have a 90x45x60 cm terrarium. I was wondering if you could recommend a suitable lizard that is easy to care for and can be handled.

By Darren

Answers

We have an iguana. He eats pellets sold in the pet food store, and fruit. He needs a special light to help his body produce calcium for strong bones, but other than that, he is very easy to care for. They poop in water, so he has a bath in the tub every day. He loves swimming and I take him out after he poops. He struts through the house, chasing the cats out of his way and likes to sunbathe in the livingroom window. He likes to ride on people's shoulders. We have had him since he was just 8 inches long, and he is now over 7 feet long. He bobs his head to greet us and comes to meet us when we get home. He has a huge "cage" (a metal enclosure with special lights on top) in the corner of the livingroom and likes to eat from people's fingers. He also likes to drink from my hand when I cup it under running water in the sink. Lenny is a really cool pet. There are lots of books on iguanas to research. I like the fact that he is a vegetarian and I don't have to feed him crickets and mice!