Share Crafts

Recipe for Baked Sub Sandwiches

One of the groups I belong to posted a recipe for Baked Sub Sandwiches. Does anyone have the recipe?

Suzi from Juliette, Georgia

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Robin in Orlando (Guest Post) 01/27/2008

I like to bake ham and cheese subs. First I make sure the roll is split, open it up and stick it in the oven just for a minute to toast the inside of it a little. Then while that's toasting, I go ahead and stick my ham in the microwave just to warm it up so when the sub rolls are toasted I just add the ham on the roll and top with mozzerella cheese (or your favorite). Stick the side of the roll with the ham and cheese back in the oven just to melt the cheese. While the cheese is melting I start adding toppings to the other side of the toasted roll. Putting the ham in the microwave for a minute insures that the ham is warm and it cuts down on the time in the oven. I usually have to make about 8 of these at a time so being able to start with the toppings while the bottom part of the sub is in the oven, helps cut down on time. I top with mayo, onions, lettuce and tomoate. They are yummy! I also bake meatballs subs which are yummy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Rita 2 17 01/29/2008

Baked Deli Sandwich - from Taste of Home
A friend brought these to a "women's night out" for my Bible study group, and they are DELISH! Serves 4-6

1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed (I make my own in the bread machine - dough cycle.)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 pound sliced deli ham
6 thin slices mozzarella cheese
1/4 pound sliced deli smoked turkey breast
6 thin slices cheddar cheese
Pizza sauce, warmed, optional

PREP 20 min. COOK 10 min. TOTAL 30 min.

On a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray, roll dough into a rectangle. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the butter and seasonings. Roll out dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Brush with half of the butter mixture. Layer the ham, mozzarella cheese, turkey and cheddar cheese lengthwise over half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over and pinch firmly to seal. Brush with remaining butter mixture.
Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 1-in. slices. Serve immediately with pizza sauce if desired.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 01/29/2008

Toasted subs are called "hogies" and have been big in the NE part of the country for decades. I'm so glad that they're finally coming mainstream throughout the country. Simply make any type of sandwich you want (meat and cheese on a roll) and place it in a toaster oven or under a broiler until hot/toasted, remove and put toppings (lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, pepper rings, cucumber, green pepper strips, etc) and dressing on, and serve hot. One of my favorites is hot roast beef with melted provolone and mozarella, then topped with marinara sauce.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No