Vinegar is a good cleaner for windows and is removes most odors, but I don't believe it kills germs. Be sure you never mix vinegar and bleach (toxic). I mix vinegar and baking soda to clean my drains, toilet, etc.
I've heard that hospitals are using vinegar for disinfecting things. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but I'm being treated for candida over-growth & I've tried many things. I asked my doctor what is the normal Ph of candida & I think he said somewhere around 5-6Ph. Therefore if you make the Ph higher or lower, it does kill the candida. I've found this to b true with candida out-breaks on my skin. The thing is with candida, in the body, it does adapt, so I've had to change what I use, often. So it occurred to me, that every living thing has an ideal Ph, so if you found out the Ph of those bacteria u'r trying to kill & changed it, it ought to kill them. Just a thought.
Hydrogen peroxide breaks down protein, so if those bacteria are protein based, it should work, also. Just some info, don't know if it'll help.
I am allergic to chlorine and any other "chemical"... I LOVE swimming, but due to my allergies (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) i cannot swim in any pool that uses chemicals. what would you reccomend to use in replacing the pool-cleaning chemicals (chlorine, bromine, ect.) with something natural in a backyard pool- either a vinyl or a hard wall octagonal-like thing that you can buy??? what sort of ratio would you suggest? please help me get back to swimming in pools in the winter time (in my own back yard...) i have heard of using ozone, but i think for a "backyard opperation" that would be irrelistic. if you could just give me the heads up on several NATURAL germ/bacteria/virus killers, that would be much appreciated. if anyone reding this has a suggestion, please e-mail me at kd_vs._kfc (at) hotmail.com
First of all, spraying any product, wether its vinegar, or a hospital grade quat. disinfectant, onto a surface, and wiping it off, is not going to kill anything. All disinfectants need at least a 10 minute kill time, before you can wipe them off. Second of all, vinegar and disinfectants have 0 cleaning capabilities, they do not penetrate a surface, or loosen soils. There is a huge difference between cleaning and disinfecting, they are 2 seperate things all together. Using a good cleaning product, and doing a good job of cleaning, removes 98% of all bacteria. Thirdly, there is a huge differenc between a disinfectant, antibacterial, and sanitizer. Vinegar may be a good sanitizer, or antibacterial at best, but it is not a disinfectant.
I work for a commercial cleaning agency and I found that using vinegar to rid indoor brick of a dusty appearance caused by soap residue seems to work best. However I would like to know is there a ratio of vinegar to water that can be used in over a 1000 sq ft area? This is simply to help with cost.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know I can use the vinegar to kill germs. My countertops aren't anything special so I don't worry about harming them...maybe something like marble would be a problem. I've never had a problem with it damaging anything. I've poured it full strength on carpet and upholstered furniture (when napping children have wet the furniture) and it's never done anything to the fabric.
I don't believe vinegar should hurt your counter top even if left on for 5 minutes. You do not need to use it full strength however. I would think 1 part water to 1 part vinegar would be a good disinfectant. If you know the manufacterer of the counter top you may want to google them to see if they have a website. Often they have cleaning tips or even a support number or email address where you can contact them.
Susan from ThriftyFun
If you use a chopping board for all raw meat, (kept solely for that purpose - do not mix chopping boards for cooked and raw foods), you can wash it in very hot water with detergent and then just wipe over with vinegar if you want - but this should not be necessary as long as all food residue and fat is scrubbed off in very hot water. Allow to dry thoroughly following cleaning.
Is vinegar sprayed directly on a laminate surface, such as the kitchen counter, and then left to stand for 5 or more minutes harmful to the counter top? It seems like it would be too harsh to use undiluted.
Vinegar is a wonderful cleaner; but, there are two options I would suggest. 1st: spray the vinegar on the area that you want and let it sit 5 minutes and wipe that off and then spray hydrogen peroxide and do the same thing. separately sprayed on they kill germs well. mixed together they are not as effective. 2: my recommendation and what I use, I add a tsp of tea tree essential oil to a sprayer bottle of about 1 cup of water. shake each time before you use it. Tea tree oil kills just about everything. Ecoli and salmonella. And it smells clean as well and you only have the one step.
Here is just one site I found that says vinegar kills germs. I had heard about a study that proved this a few years ago...so use it without guilt!!!
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.