Prepping Formica To Paint

If I can paint the back splash of my Formica counter tops with a semi gloss, will I have to prepare them by sanding? The space all total might be 6'x6'. I just want a change, without getting new ones. Thanks for all the help.

I've done this to my daughter's backsplash. It turned out great! You do need to lightly sand the surface. Then, coat it with an adhesive primer, Zin Primer. I used a foam brush to apply several coats of paint. Then, I put on a clear oil- based satin gloss. The oil-base does yellow, which was okay with the color I used. But, oil-base holds up much better around areas exposed to water or food splashes.

I did not need to sand. I bought a small can of Zinsser B-I-N primer (Home Depot). This stuff sticks to ANYTHING. It is the same product that I used to prime and paint the 1950s pink tile in my bathroom (now a high-gloss white) and the horrid tile backsplash that was in my kitchen when I moved in (now a copper metallic...also from HD)

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

I think I would use an oil base paint for the backsplash. Also use a primer. Make sure u tell the sales person that u are using an oil base paint so they can give u the correct primer. An oil base paint will give u better results. ~Janette~

painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenAugust 27, 2008
Cleaning
Cleaning Formica
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Bottle of Clorox bleach.
Repairing Bleach Stains on Formica
🎄