Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Area Rugs that Bubble Up

I have had an area carpet cleaned. Now it is rippled and won't lay flat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Debra from Hamilton

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By judy (Guest Post)07/28/2008

I have a 9x12 area rug over wood floor and it is bubbling so badly that we went out and bought double stick tape thinking this would help. Instead it just made it bubble in new areas. We are stymied and worried that someone will trip over the bubbled edge. Cannot find any other ideas that might help. Any suggestion?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Area Rugs that Bubble Up

How do I stop an area carpet from bubbling up? I rent so I have area carpets on top of the landlord's carpets. Here is the problem, for whatever reason the carpet bubbles, creeps, folds, creases, whatever you want to call it. We have just replace the carpet AGAIN, and in less than 2 weeks it is doing the same thing. How do I stop this from happening and how do i get this carpet to lay flat again? Please help!

RE: Area Rugs that Bubble Up

The problem is that the yarns of the two carpets, upper and lower, are rubbing against each other. Go to an RV supply place and buy some of the rubbery, slightly sticky stuff that we RVers use to line the kitchen cupboards of our rigs so that our dishes stay put when we travel. You can buy the same stuff at places like K-Mart next to the Contact paper that is used to line home kitchen cupboards, but you can get it by the yard at the RV store, which might be cheaper. Buy a piece as long as one of your area rugs and place it under that rug. Should stop the area rug from sliding around. (05/29/2004)

By Betty

RE: Area Rugs that Bubble Up

You can also buy a similar product made just for area rugs that you lay under the rug. You can buy them in the size of your rug. (06/01/2004)

By Tawnda

RE: Area Rugs that Bubble Up

They might be bubbling because their getting stretched. If an area rug is sitting over a softer carpet, as the carpet underneath compresses each time it's walked on or furniture is placed on it, it could cause the area rug on top to slowly stretch over time. Unfortunately if that is the cause of the bubbles there's not much you'll be able to do about it. (06/07/2004)

By Jkendall