AdviceCleaning

Getting Mechanical Grease Off a Suitcase

On a recent flight from NY to Denver, my brand new suitcase got stuck "behind" the luggage carousel and is now covered with grease. It is your typical mechanical grease and the suitcase is your typical poly canvas blend. How can I get the grease out of my new suitcase so it looks new again?

Miffed in Denver

Did you have a polite chat with the luggage carousel complaint dept.?

Hi. I wanted to suggest that you try the Watkins Stain Pro Grease, Tar & Gum Remover. I haven't personally used this product yet but have read rave reviews about its effectiveness on motor oil, grease, and tar on clothing and carpeting as well. The description says that it is formulated to remove tar, grease, motor oil and adhesives from clothing, upholstery and hard surfaces such as formica, linoleum, ceramics and porcelain. I have to say that all of the Watkins cleaning products I have used are absolutely great and work as described. The other reason I am recommending it is because Watkins backs all their products with a 100% money-back guarantee. If it doesn't work for you, you get all your money back, so you really don't have anything to lose.

I can send you a catalog if you want to check it out.

Trudy Powell

Independent Watkins Assoc. #357561

trudypowell@sbcglobal.net

For years my son worked on cars,getting grease all over his clothes and I had a hard time getting it out[some never came out] but one day I discovered the mechanics hand cleaner so I used it on his jeans and all the grease disolved so fast I couldn't believe it.I only used a dab and with an old tooth brush,I brushed it in and laundered as usual.now 42 years later,He's still using it to clean his clothes with.we used the pink or orange hand cleaner so you might try it on your suitcase and rinse with a damp rag .

Did you find any of these products to work. I just bought a brand new suitcase and it has huge gobs of mechanical grease I would say from the plane all over it. ?What shoulf I use that wont spread it around? Thanks

Michelle in Rochester NY

I just had the same experience with my brand new, bright red suitcase. I tried mixing a half tsp of dish soap with 1 tbsp oxy clean in about a quarter cup of water. You will see it bubbling. Then I used an old toothbrush, and with a little scrubbing of the affected areas, the grease came out. Then I used a clean wet cloth to remove as much of the soap as possible. My suitcase is a nylon/parachute type material.

Anonymous

This seems to have worked. I will know better when it dries. My daughter took my red Samsonite suitcase and the front was black. Thanks