Shop at ALDI's for Grocery Savings

We have become regular ALDI shoppers because of the consistently low prices for very good quality products. For those who aren't familiar with this name, it is a company based in Germany and has been around Europe for quite a while. While many people are put off because of their warehouse style of display and no bags or credit cards, as our economy becomes more and more tenuous, these "inconveniences" will not be quite so distasteful.

Yesterday on the Clark Howard radio talk show, he was discussing this very topic and put numbers with it. He said that ALDI is across the board 20% lower in their prices than the big discount grocery stores we are accustomed to. Their house brand of double stuffed chocolate cookies were selected 100% of the time over the name brand ones in a blind taste test. If there's one anywhere near you, you might want to give it a try.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Aldi's, if you want to check to see if there is one in your area.

I love Aldi and wished we had them where I live. I lived in Germany and also still go to Holland fairly often and I always go there for cheap foods to bring back home. I LOVE IT! Sadly we have no discount grocery stores where I live :(

I moved to MO from CA 14 yrs. ago and discovered

ALDI'S.At first I thought it was some cheap store

with damaged goods. Once I went in and saw the

products and prices I was HOOKED.

The produce is great and the bananas are approx.

30 cents cheaper per pound. Frozen goods

are priced great I buy veggies for stir fry and save

so much money there. Oh the refried canned beans

are great and cheap.

I think I am the salmon against the tide here. On the whole I don't shop at Aldi because a lot of the products are produced in Asia. I don't believe the Asian standards are as high as the western world standards so that is why I don't shop at Aldi. Check out where products are produced. Heather

We just discovered Aldi'S a few months ago .We love it! They have great prices, and really quality products.

Their frozen foods such as salmon fillets,hamburger patties, stir fry vegetables,etc. are awesome.

I save a lot on canned soups, for example...vegetable w/beef stock...Walmart price...1.00...Aldi's price....49cents.We can't tell the difference between the name brand and Aldi's.

Great prices on fresh fruits and vegetables also.

As you go down the aisles shopping, just grab an empty box to put your groceries in, thats what most everyone does at our store.

We have Aldi's in Providence and the place is amazing!!! Recommended unreservedly...

Aldi's is wonderful, fabulous and fine--also they have excellent other items sometimes from tv's to toys. Bells and whistles not needed...Anything they have is always wonderful and bargains galore plus a clean store, superior quality everything, plus! friendly, hard working people--HEY!! Always Aldi's!!!

I don't really like Aldi's at all. The prices aren't that much lower than store brands, in some cases, they're the same or higher. Also, the quality is poor. What good is a 39 cent can of veggies if the carrots have black spots on them, and the corn has actually corn husk in it? Also, the frozen food is a good deal if you can eat processed foods with lots of preservatives and tons of sodium. Even their dairy isn't really that great of a buy. I'll never forget the time I bought ground turkey there, and was frying it at home "loose" for sloppy joes and ran across several different pieces of turkey intestine or vein or some other disgusting thing... Never again for me!

I like Aldi as well. We have two in the Chattanooga area. They don't carry everything one might like but I take my grocery list and stop there first. Then go on to the other stores. I don't buy bread there for I did get moldy bread one time. I think the turnover in the bread products are not great enough at our store and they sit too long. All and all it is a good store and I do save money and the products I buy are good.

We have three Aldi stores in Canton, OH. Credit/Debit cards are welcome. They regularly have lower prices than WalMart -- for milk especially.

It's pretty obvious they buy when they see a bargain. Smart Balance (healthy) margarine was carried but they sold out of it recently and it's not in my store anymore.

Don't want to pay for bags? Save bags from other stores in your trunk! That's a no-brainer.

Don't want to save money? Shop elsewhere.

My husband and I shop at Aldi quite often. I was very surprised at the quality of their foods. They are cheaper than Wal-Mart and every bit as good, if not better. There are a couple of items that Aldi makes that I don't care for, but I avoid those. I go to Aldi first, then Wal-Mart. And lucky for us, Aldi has recently moved within walking distance of Wal-Mart, so it's great for both stores.

The items I don't care for from Aldi is the popcorn (leaves greasy taste in my mouth), their own brand of chocolate candy, and their own brand of ice cream. Everything else is really, really good. I have bought canned vegetables and meat there and have had absolutely no problems. I have the Aldi plastic bags, keep them in the trunk of my car and reuse over and over. They are much heavier than regular bags from a grocery store. I've even used them to pack in for moving.

I am in Australia and wouldn't shop anywhere else but Aldi. I easily save $30 a week and the quality is excellent. For example bananas at a local fruit and veg wharehouse yesterday were $5.99 per kilo, but $1.99 in Aldi. We have never had anything we didn't like from Aldi.

I was never really keen on Aldi, but fell in love with my local Save-a-Lot. The prices are great - my favorite Marie Callender chicken pot pies are only about $1.65 each. On our side of town where we shop, the milk is $2.47. (It's higher at the Save-a-Lot across town, but that's beside the point.)

Save-a-Lot doesn't take coupons, and with such low prices, they're really not necessary. Bags are available for those who want to spend an extra nickel per for paper or dime or so for plastic, and our debit card is welcome. We've only ever gotten one or two bad loaves of bread in several years, and the bread there is less than at the bread thrift store.

There are very few things we like that we can't find at Save-a-Lot. I highly recommend it!

Aldi's is the best. We have shopped there for several years and I buy all of my staples there, like baking ingredients, etc. Recently, they have upgraded their stores and brought in fresh meats. I don't buy anything from Asia or China. it is hard not to, if you read labels. These are in all the stores, especially discount stores, so you have to watch. We spend the winters in Florida and I missed Aldi's down there, EUREKA!!! They have built not one, but two, in the area we go to. I am very happy.

February 3, 2009 Flag

ALDI is a great discount grocery store that has great prices on fruits, vegetables, salad mixes, turkey breast meat, soups, fat-free milk and cereals. They now carry a low-fat cracker and salad dressing line. If you have a super Wal-mart stock up on there fat-free yogurt for 39¢ a container. Great deal. Most grocery stores run weekly specials on yogurt and seasonal produce and meats. Just watch your ads.

You are correct packaged processed fatty food is cheaper than fresh, but if you are luck to have farmers markets use them! Best quality and prices!
Good luck.

By Melissa

Answers:

Shop At ALDI Or Other Discount Grocery Stores

I have shopped at Aldi's for years. I feel that the quality of the food is better. A lot of people in my area use Aldi's for grocery shopping. It is always the busiest store on Saturday morning. I for one like to go later in the day. (01/29/2005)

You're so right about Aldi, Melissa. Their Saltine equivalent crackers are always fresh and a mere 59 cents a box. Flour and sugar are cheaper, and often eggs are, too. Their bagged Italian salad is only $1.50...and it's $2.50 on sale everywhere else here. Canned beans and other vegetables are only 39 cents, I believe. And a ten-pound sack of Russet potatoes? $1.69. Terrific store! (02/16/2005)

By Sara

I have just recently become familiar with Aldi's Stores (within the past 2 years), when they opened in Georgia. My job recently transferred me to New Mexico and despite the wonderful views I can't find any store to compare to Aldi's. I have 3 sons and 4 dogs and shopping at Aldi's I can feed an army... i wish they would consider opening here in the Albuquerque area. (05/21/2005)

By Longing in New Mexico

I too LOVE Aldi's and shopped there for many years! I don't mind bagging my own groceries because I save so much! Their quality is very good! Two friends just got back and said Aldi's is in Germany, too. It is a German company. That's why the chocolate at Christmastime and the beer and wine etc. is so good! I don't feel guilty not using coupons there either. (They are not accepted). (09/03/2005)

By Wendy23

After leaving Aldi's as a shopper for a decade, I'm back again! Can you say, "3 kids in college?" Now that we're helping our kids get through college we're watching our budget and you definitely get more bang for your buck at Aldi's!

Thanks Aldi's!!! (01/20/2006)

By Julie

I have always liked Aldi's when I've shopped there. I just don't always remember to go there but think I'm gonna start going on a more regular basis. I don't mind putting a quarter in a cart and certainly don't mind bringing bags and bagging my own groceries. The savings are well worth it. I was just there yesterday and got 21 items and spent about $23! Their bags of snack foods are very good. .99 for a big bag of chips and the pretzels are really good, also .99. Bread is very good and very cheap. I get cottage cheese, milk, eggs, yogurts, all at a savings. Their frozen juices are quite good too. It's a no frills kind of store but who cares when you're saving money....I sure don't! (01/20/2006)

By Debbie52

Food request

Hi!
I am a regular shopper at my local Aldi grocery store in Bristol, CT. Being a huge fan of the low prices, friendly staff and the high quality, I have recommended the store to many people. I am extremely happy with this store and will be a life long shopper.

I am a vegetarian, so when I first started shopping at this grocery store, I was so excited to see that there were meatless boca burgers in the freezer section. Some time last year they were discontinued and I'm hoping that maybe they could be put back in stock. Is it a possibility? (03/22/2006)

By Tricia

Mercher Animal Crackers

I purchased Mercher Animal Crackers for snack for my grandchildren. The children really enjoyed them. My oldest granddaughter Gabrielle was so impressed with the different animal shapes she made a game of What Am I, when we were having snack. She was only five at the time and we are still playing the game.

The product is not only delicious but can be educational as well. (09/04/2006)

By Carolyn

I love Aldi's. The prices are great largely because of its 'no frills' concept. I don't need to shop at a grocery store with chandeliers, I need quality products, clean facilities, convenience, and low prices! Aldi offers this. My only regret is that we don't have an Aldi's in Bismarck and Minot, North Dakota. The grocery prices here are outrageous! (10/05/2006)

By Peggy

Looking for a certain product that I bought just this week. It is spinach and artichoke bread bowls. They were so delicious and I can't seem to find anymore at any of the stores I went to. I would hope that the product is not discontinued. (11/19/2006)

By Shari

We like the low fat foods (e.i. "Fit 'n Active")! What happened to those reduced fat cheese crackers at the Rolla, Mo. Aldi store? We'd love to have those back! (12/08/2006)

By Carol

Debit Card Fee

I recently noticed that I was not being charged .35 to use my debit card at Aldi # 86 in Lansdale, Pa. I asked the manager why I wasn't paying the fee he said Aldi doesn't charge a fee, that they never did? Is this true, if so I want years of money back.
Sincerely,
Deborah (07/20/2007)

By Deborah

My mom accidentally bumped the car ahead of a ALDI'S Store Manager in attempt to park in a parking lot of a hospital. My mom is 81. This manager was very angry & abusive towards my mother. There were no damages. She insisted police be called & my mother who was just trying to park her car received a ticket!

While I don't agree with the manager being abusive... I don't see anything wrong with calling the police. I would be grateful to the manager if someone bumped my car and she reported it.

You have no idea how frustrating it is to come out of a store and see your car "door dinged" or otherwise damaged without being told. Even a tiny scuff in the paint or something is a major headache. Again, she needed to be respectful and should have never yelled or been abusive to anyone. not trying to be argumentative or rude, just that's how I feel. (07/20/2007)

By boogieman

In love with your store here, and I was in Germany. (09/10/2007)

By Irene

Aldi Rocks! (02/14/2008)

I shop at Aldi in Marshall Mo and you can not beat the prices or the friendly service you receive. If you can not find an item, ask they will always help you find what you are looking for and the fresh meat is the BEST in town. (05/06/2008)

By Sharon

I've only recently heard of Aldi's. I think I'd love it for one to open in Louisiana. I'm a mom to 4 young kids, so any savings are welcomed!! (05/08/2008)

By jdmcd79

I enjoy shopping at Aldi's. For about a year, Aldi's stocked a very good quality Muesli cereal with nuts and dried fruit. Suddenly they didn't have it anymore. I would like to know where to get it. It's manufactured in Great Britain and comes in a bag. Also they stopped carrying a great mango, pineapple and papaya frozen fruit package. I would like to see these products brought back. (05/17/2008)

By Martha

I love to shop at ALDI. There products are fresh and delicious and half the price. You cannot beat the price they offer on their fruit and vegetables. It is the only place to go to get red/yellow bellpeppers, grapes and strawberries! (06/17/2008)

By Karen

I like Aldi's in America where I live but we do not have chocolate with marzipan in it and I do not think that is fair. It would be nice if you sold German food in Aldi's in America, that would be really nice. I believe the Americans would enjoy the food. I know I would.

From Kathleen in Danville, Illinois

Editor's Note: The best way to get something at your local grocery store is to talk to the customer service department. They usually have a form to fill out. Even if they don't start carrying your item, you might be able to have them special order it just for you. (07/17/2008)

By Kathleen

I wish a headquarters person would write in and tell where the stores which they are anticipating opening (they said 25) will be in Florida. I DO HOPE AT LEAST ONE WILL BE IN JACKSONVILLE. I have shopped Aldi's upstate NY for over 15 years and when I stay in Florida I MISS them so much. There are mainly 3 stores only Publix, Winn-Dixie,and Super Wal-Marts. That's it but NONE compare to the quality and buys you get in Aldi's. Especially fresh produce & Fruit. COME ON ALDI's When will you be in JAX? (07/26/2008)

By MOM SMOTH

basket with products
Shopping at Aldi's
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingFebruary 10, 2009
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Saving Money on Carpet, Installing Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Couple Using Online Savings Institution
Choosing the Best Online Savings Institution
🎉
🎄