Shopping at Aldi's

Known for its consistently low prices, this German warehouse style grocery store is finding satisfied customers in the US. This is a guide about shopping at Aldi's.

We have become regular ALDI shoppers because of the consistently low prices for very good quality products. For those who aren't familiar with this name, it is a company based in Germany and has been around Europe for quite a while. While many people are put off because of their warehouse style of display and no bags or credit cards, as our economy becomes more and more tenuous, these "inconveniences" will not be quite so distasteful.

Yesterday on the Clark Howard radio talk show, he was discussing this very topic and put numbers with it. He said that ALDI is across the board 20% lower in their prices than the big discount grocery stores we are accustomed to. Their house brand of double stuffed chocolate cookies were selected 100% of the time over the name brand ones in a blind taste test. If there's one anywhere near you, you might want to give it a try.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Aldi's, if you want to check to see if there is one in your area.

We have a new grocery chain in our area. The prices are very good, for instance eggs for 49 cents a dozen. However, the brand names of canned goods and such are not familiar to me. Does anyone shop at ALDI? And can you suggest which brands compare to the House-Brands at the other grocery chains? Thanks.

By Barbara from East TN

Answers

I have an Aldi in the same town where I do my grocery shopping, and we decided to try it the other week for a change of pace. All I can say (and maybe not every store is like this) is yuck. The cream of chicken soup had a burnt taste, even in the microwave. The grapes had mold, and some other veggies had little bugs on them. The only things that were ok were milk and cheese- the block kind, not sliced. Their brand of soda is a good deal, though. We aren't a picky family (we love sav-a-lot) but this stuff was just horrible, and we'll never shop there again. *P.S.- we did complain about the bugs in the produce section- the manager told me that he advises just washing anything before eating. Wish I could be of more help, but we had a poor experience with this store.

We lived in Texas and the Save A Lot was in a low income
area and wasn't that clean. In Kansas where we lived we loved it. Maybe it depends on the manager I don't know.Some
of the brands I like some I don't. You just have to try a can of this and that until you know what you like. we have
bought the cheaper brands of canned vegetables and they work good for most of them. Just give it a try. The meat department in our Aldis is great. Grandma Bess

Although I have not been shopping At Aldi very long, (2-3 months), I have been very pleased with the quality of the foods I have bought. The Fit'n Trim products are excellent. All the frozen goods, veggies,meats, link sausages, wine, dairy products...virtually everything I can think of has been good, and has saved us substancially on our grocery bill. I highly recommend Aldi for anyone trying to economize. Individual stores could vary though.

Here in Indiana Aldi's are wonderful! The bread is always fresher than any other regular grocery store. We have bought their canned vegetables and fruits for years and they have the best prices around. I am sure there are a few things that are not as good as a name brand but you will find that true with any generics. Eggs, milk and butter are just as good as any name brand but at a much better price. Happy shopping!

Anonymous

I love Aldi's. Some of there things are not that great, but most are. Plus, you get the double your money back if you do not like an item. Their prices are out of site. I can feed my family of 4 for 80 a week. That even includes some junk food for the kids. If you go to a good one their grapes are great. Nice and tangy. Some things I still buy from my Krogers, but most things I get at Aldi. Love it.

Barbara, you are sooo lucky to have an Aldi's near you. They are a German store and I shopped there when I lived in Minnesota. I like the idea that you have to 'pay' to borrow a shopping cart and get your money back when you return it. I hope the Aldi store will move west and eventually hit California, where I now live. I remember being a 'pick and choose' mom when I shopped there, but there were many things that I really loved to buy there and saved a bunch of money. I especially liked their cheap flower bouquets, coffee, fruits and veggies, and other items that I cannot remember. I hope someone will help you out with the brand itself; I don't remember anything about that. Sorry, but happy shopping.

I've shopped at Aldis for over 20 years, and am extremely pleased. Several different companies can for them under the Aldi label. For example, I bought their salad dressing for years and we loved it. Then suddenly, it tasted different and I quit using it. After a while, we retried it, and it was the original recipe again. All the stores I've gone to have been very clean and I've never had any trouble with bugs.

I shop there on occasion, and should do it more, they just aren't close enough to me. Just an FYI, they have a TON of recipes on their website. You can save them to your cookbook, and even to your shopping list. When your shopping list prints out they have everything you need broke down by department! It's wonderful!

Where in Fort Worth, Texas is a Aldi's food store located?

Nancy from Fort Worth, TX

Answers

http://www.aldi … dex_ENU_HTML.htm

I checked their website and didn't find Aldi Foods in your area as yet.

Marge from NY

I lived in Irving then McKinney for 3 years and never found an Aldi, but I've heard that Save A Lot is owned by Aldi and I know we had them in Irving and I think McKinney too, you might want to see about that store. I like Aldi a lot better myself, but they're prices were very cheap, cheaper than most of the other stores in TX. If you want a good value you might want to check out the .99 stores they even have a refridgerated section and I always found bargains there. Hope that helps.

They are building an Alidi's in Saginaw to be open this Jan.

They said they would open one here last yr in Hurst , but for some reason it never open. Terry

There is one at Mccart + Sycamore School Rd in Fort worth and one at sh183 + Green Oaks in White Settlement, Euless at Plano + Richardson. Not sure if open yet, my company is subcontractor for some of the work with the stores.

I am looking for nearest location of a Aldi's store in. I am in Mitchellville, Maryland.

Priscilla

Answers

there site is http://www.aldi.com go there click on location and they will tell you the stores closet to you. I live a hour from our closet one but at there prices i still think its worth it. Lori

http://usa.aldi.com/store_01/

I live about 15 miles from one, and I shop there all the time. I get about 75% of my groceries from there. It is silly to pay $2.00 for a loaf of bread when I can buy it for about .60. Other savings are great, too. I buy very few things from 'regular' food stores. I spent about $80 at Aldis and came home with a ton of food. At a 'regular' food store, I doubt I'd have brought five bags home.

The closest stores to you that I know of are: Hyattsville (it's on Hamilton Street off of Queen's Chapel). Another one is on Marlboro Pike in District Heights area. If you go toward Baltimore at all there is one in Glen Burnie also.

Where is an Aldi's that is close to Huntsville, Alabama?

Aretha from Huntsville, AL

Answers

There is one in Florence, Alabama. www.aldi.com has a store locator and you might be able to find a store closer.
Good luck. They certainly have wonderful prices for your basic grocery needs.

I did a Google search, and the closest Aldi to Huntsville is in Florence, Alabama. The address is 411 Cox Creek Parkway, Florence, AL 35630. The website said it is about 60 miles away.

There is one in Decatur, AL that recently opened.
It's in Plum Tree Center on the Beltline(Highway 67). Travel from Huntsville on 565 toward Decatur. Where 565 ends take Interstate 65 South toward Birmingham and then take the Decatur/Priceville exit toward Decatur which puts you on Hwy 67. The store is about 4 or 5 miles from the exit. Hope this helps.

ALDI is a great discount grocery store that has great prices on fruits, vegetables, salad mixes, turkey breast meat, soups, fat-free milk and cereals. They now carry a low-fat cracker and salad dressing line. If you have a super Wal-mart stock up on there fat-free yogurt for 39¢ a container. Great deal. Most grocery stores run weekly specials on yogurt and seasonal produce and meats. Just watch your ads.

You are correct packaged processed fatty food is cheaper than fresh, but if you are luck to have farmers markets use them! Best quality and prices!
Good luck.

By Melissa

Answers:

Shop At ALDI Or Other Discount Grocery Stores

I have shopped at Aldi's for years. I feel that the quality of the food is better. A lot of people in my area use Aldi's for grocery shopping. It is always the busiest store on Saturday morning. I for one like to go later in the day. (01/29/2005)

You're so right about Aldi, Melissa. Their Saltine equivalent crackers are always fresh and a mere 59 cents a box. Flour and sugar are cheaper, and often eggs are, too. Their bagged Italian salad is only $1.50...and it's $2.50 on sale everywhere else here. Canned beans and other vegetables are only 39 cents, I believe. And a ten-pound sack of Russet potatoes? $1.69. Terrific store! (02/16/2005)

By Sara

I have just recently become familiar with Aldi's Stores (within the past 2 years), when they opened in Georgia. My job recently transferred me to New Mexico and despite the wonderful views I can't find any store to compare to Aldi's. I have 3 sons and 4 dogs and shopping at Aldi's I can feed an army... i wish they would consider opening here in the Albuquerque area. (05/21/2005)

By Longing in New Mexico

I too LOVE Aldi's and shopped there for many years! I don't mind bagging my own groceries because I save so much! Their quality is very good! Two friends just got back and said Aldi's is in Germany, too. It is a German company. That's why the chocolate at Christmastime and the beer and wine etc. is so good! I don't feel guilty not using coupons there either. (They are not accepted). (09/03/2005)

By Wendy23

After leaving Aldi's as a shopper for a decade, I'm back again! Can you say, "3 kids in college?" Now that we're helping our kids get through college we're watching our budget and you definitely get more bang for your buck at Aldi's!

Thanks Aldi's!!! (01/20/2006)

By Julie

I have always liked Aldi's when I've shopped there. I just don't always remember to go there but think I'm gonna start going on a more regular basis. I don't mind putting a quarter in a cart and certainly don't mind bringing bags and bagging my own groceries. The savings are well worth it. I was just there yesterday and got 21 items and spent about $23! Their bags of snack foods are very good. .99 for a big bag of chips and the pretzels are really good, also .99. Bread is very good and very cheap. I get cottage cheese, milk, eggs, yogurts, all at a savings. Their frozen juices are quite good too. It's a no frills kind of store but who cares when you're saving money....I sure don't! (01/20/2006)

By Debbie52

Food request

Hi!
I am a regular shopper at my local Aldi grocery store in Bristol, CT. Being a huge fan of the low prices, friendly staff and the high quality, I have recommended the store to many people. I am extremely happy with this store and will be a life long shopper.

I am a vegetarian, so when I first started shopping at this grocery store, I was so excited to see that there were meatless boca burgers in the freezer section. Some time last year they were discontinued and I'm hoping that maybe they could be put back in stock. Is it a possibility? (03/22/2006)

By Tricia

Mercher Animal Crackers

I purchased Mercher Animal Crackers for snack for my grandchildren. The children really enjoyed them. My oldest granddaughter Gabrielle was so impressed with the different animal shapes she made a game of What Am I, when we were having snack. She was only five at the time and we are still playing the game.

The product is not only delicious but can be educational as well. (09/04/2006)

By Carolyn

I love Aldi's. The prices are great largely because of its 'no frills' concept. I don't need to shop at a grocery store with chandeliers, I need quality products, clean facilities, convenience, and low prices! Aldi offers this. My only regret is that we don't have an Aldi's in Bismarck and Minot, North Dakota. The grocery prices here are outrageous! (10/05/2006)

By Peggy

Looking for a certain product that I bought just this week. It is spinach and artichoke bread bowls. They were so delicious and I can't seem to find anymore at any of the stores I went to. I would hope that the product is not discontinued. (11/19/2006)

By Shari

We like the low fat foods (e.i. "Fit 'n Active")! What happened to those reduced fat cheese crackers at the Rolla, Mo. Aldi store? We'd love to have those back! (12/08/2006)

By Carol

Debit Card Fee

I recently noticed that I was not being charged .35 to use my debit card at Aldi # 86 in Lansdale, Pa. I asked the manager why I wasn't paying the fee he said Aldi doesn't charge a fee, that they never did? Is this true, if so I want years of money back.
Sincerely,
Deborah (07/20/2007)

By Deborah

My mom accidentally bumped the car ahead of a ALDI'S Store Manager in attempt to park in a parking lot of a hospital. My mom is 81. This manager was very angry & abusive towards my mother. There were no damages. She insisted police be called & my mother who was just trying to park her car received a ticket!

While I don't agree with the manager being abusive... I don't see anything wrong with calling the police. I would be grateful to the manager if someone bumped my car and she reported it.

You have no idea how frustrating it is to come out of a store and see your car "door dinged" or otherwise damaged without being told. Even a tiny scuff in the paint or something is a major headache. Again, she needed to be respectful and should have never yelled or been abusive to anyone. not trying to be argumentative or rude, just that's how I feel. (07/20/2007)

By boogieman

In love with your store here, and I was in Germany. (09/10/2007)

By Irene

Aldi Rocks! (02/14/2008)

I shop at Aldi in Marshall Mo and you can not beat the prices or the friendly service you receive. If you can not find an item, ask they will always help you find what you are looking for and the fresh meat is the BEST in town. (05/06/2008)

By Sharon

I've only recently heard of Aldi's. I think I'd love it for one to open in Louisiana. I'm a mom to 4 young kids, so any savings are welcomed!! (05/08/2008)

By jdmcd79

I enjoy shopping at Aldi's. For about a year, Aldi's stocked a very good quality Muesli cereal with nuts and dried fruit. Suddenly they didn't have it anymore. I would like to know where to get it. It's manufactured in Great Britain and comes in a bag. Also they stopped carrying a great mango, pineapple and papaya frozen fruit package. I would like to see these products brought back. (05/17/2008)

By Martha

I love to shop at ALDI. There products are fresh and delicious and half the price. You cannot beat the price they offer on their fruit and vegetables. It is the only place to go to get red/yellow bellpeppers, grapes and strawberries! (06/17/2008)

By Karen

I like Aldi's in America where I live but we do not have chocolate with marzipan in it and I do not think that is fair. It would be nice if you sold German food in Aldi's in America, that would be really nice. I believe the Americans would enjoy the food. I know I would.

From Kathleen in Danville, Illinois

Editor's Note: The best way to get something at your local grocery store is to talk to the customer service department. They usually have a form to fill out. Even if they don't start carrying your item, you might be able to have them special order it just for you. (07/17/2008)

By Kathleen

I wish a headquarters person would write in and tell where the stores which they are anticipating opening (they said 25) will be in Florida. I DO HOPE AT LEAST ONE WILL BE IN JACKSONVILLE. I have shopped Aldi's upstate NY for over 15 years and when I stay in Florida I MISS them so much. There are mainly 3 stores only Publix, Winn-Dixie,and Super Wal-Marts. That's it but NONE compare to the quality and buys you get in Aldi's. Especially fresh produce & Fruit. COME ON ALDI's When will you be in JAX? (07/26/2008)

By MOM SMOTH