Shop at ALDI's for Grocery Savings

We have become regular ALDI shoppers because of the consistently low prices for very good quality products. For those who aren't familiar with this name, it is a company based in Germany and has been around Europe for quite a while. While many people are put off because of their warehouse style of display and no bags or credit cards, as our economy becomes more and more tenuous, these "inconveniences" will not be quite so distasteful.

Yesterday on the Clark Howard radio talk show, he was discussing this very topic and put numbers with it. He said that ALDI is across the board 20% lower in their prices than the big discount grocery stores we are accustomed to. Their house brand of double stuffed chocolate cookies were selected 100% of the time over the name brand ones in a blind taste test. If there's one anywhere near you, you might want to give it a try.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Editor's Note: Here is a link to Aldi's, if you want to check to see if there is one in your area.

I love Aldi and wished we had them where I live. I lived in Germany and also still go to Holland fairly often and I always go there for cheap foods to bring back home. I LOVE IT! Sadly we have no discount grocery stores where I live :(

I moved to MO from CA 14 yrs. ago and discovered
ALDI'S.At first I thought it was some cheap store
with damaged goods. Once I went in and saw the
products and prices I was HOOKED.
The produce is great and the bananas are approx.
30 cents cheaper per pound. Frozen goods
are priced great I buy veggies for stir fry and save
so much money there. Oh the refried canned beans
are great and cheap.

I think I am the salmon against the tide here. On the whole I don't shop at Aldi because a lot of the products are produced in Asia. I don't believe the Asian standards are as high as the western world standards so that is why I don't shop at Aldi. Check out where products are produced. Heather

We just discovered Aldi'S a few months ago .We love it! They have great prices, and really quality products.
Their frozen foods such as salmon fillets,hamburger patties, stir fry vegetables,etc. are awesome.
I save a lot on canned soups, for example...vegetable w/beef stock...Walmart price...1.00...Aldi's price....49cents.We can't tell the difference between the name brand and Aldi's.
Great prices on fresh fruits and vegetables also.
As you go down the aisles shopping, just grab an empty box to put your groceries in, thats what most everyone does at our store.

We have Aldi's in Providence and the place is amazing!!! Recommended unreservedly...

Aldi's is wonderful, fabulous and fine--also they have excellent other items sometimes from tv's to toys. Bells and whistles not needed...Anything they have is always wonderful and bargains galore plus a clean store, superior quality everything, plus! friendly, hard working people--HEY!! Always Aldi's!!!

I don't really like Aldi's at all. The prices aren't that much lower than store brands, in some cases, they're the same or higher. Also, the quality is poor. What good is a 39 cent can of veggies if the carrots have black spots on them, and the corn has actually corn husk in it? Also, the frozen food is a good deal if you can eat processed foods with lots of preservatives and tons of sodium. Even their dairy isn't really that great of a buy. I'll never forget the time I bought ground turkey there, and was frying it at home "loose" for sloppy joes and ran across several different pieces of turkey intestine or vein or some other disgusting thing... Never again for me!

I like Aldi as well. We have two in the Chattanooga area. They don't carry everything one might like but I take my grocery list and stop there first. Then go on to the other stores. I don't buy bread there for I did get moldy bread one time. I think the turnover in the bread products are not great enough at our store and they sit too long. All and all it is a good store and I do save money and the products I buy are good.

We have three Aldi stores in Canton, OH. Credit/Debit cards are welcome. They regularly have lower prices than WalMart -- for milk especially.

It's pretty obvious they buy when they see a bargain. Smart Balance (healthy) margarine was carried but they sold out of it recently and it's not in my store anymore.

Don't want to pay for bags? Save bags from other stores in your trunk! That's a no-brainer.

Don't want to save money? Shop elsewhere.

My husband and I shop at Aldi quite often. I was very surprised at the quality of their foods. They are cheaper than Wal-Mart and every bit as good, if not better. There are a couple of items that Aldi makes that I don't care for, but I avoid those. I go to Aldi first, then Wal-Mart. And lucky for us, Aldi has recently moved within walking distance of Wal-Mart, so it's great for both stores.

The items I don't care for from Aldi is the popcorn (leaves greasy taste in my mouth), their own brand of chocolate candy, and their own brand of ice cream. Everything else is really, really good. I have bought canned vegetables and meat there and have had absolutely no problems. I have the Aldi plastic bags, keep them in the trunk of my car and reuse over and over. They are much heavier than regular bags from a grocery store. I've even used them to pack in for moving.

I am in Australia and wouldn't shop anywhere else but Aldi. I easily save $30 a week and the quality is excellent. For example bananas at a local fruit and veg wharehouse yesterday were $5.99 per kilo, but $1.99 in Aldi. We have never had anything we didn't like from Aldi.

I was never really keen on Aldi, but fell in love with my local Save-a-Lot. The prices are great - my favorite Marie Callender chicken pot pies are only about $1.65 each. On our side of town where we shop, the milk is $2.47. (It's higher at the Save-a-Lot across town, but that's beside the point.)
Save-a-Lot doesn't take coupons, and with such low prices, they're really not necessary. Bags are available for those who want to spend an extra nickel per for paper or dime or so for plastic, and our debit card is welcome. We've only ever gotten one or two bad loaves of bread in several years, and the bread there is less than at the bread thrift store.
There are very few things we like that we can't find at Save-a-Lot. I highly recommend it!

Aldi's is the best. We have shopped there for several years and I buy all of my staples there, like baking ingredients, etc. Recently, they have upgraded their stores and brought in fresh meats. I don't buy anything from Asia or China. it is hard not to, if you read labels. These are in all the stores, especially discount stores, so you have to watch. We spend the winters in Florida and I missed Aldi's down there, EUREKA!!! They have built not one, but two, in the area we go to. I am very happy.