Repairing a Peeling Vinyl Recliner

I have a 3 year old chocolate brown recliner that I thought was a crinkly look vinyl. It is now flaking and peeling where there is most use. Underneath is a soft fabric. So, what I assume now, is that a technique of spray painting a soft leather look on an under fabric was used on this new recliner. It was not very expensive, in the $400 range, (that should have been a clue).

It is in perfectly good working order, is comfortable, I like the look and it is a good fit in my space. How do I go about brushing off the peeling parts and respraying a leather look on my recliner?

By Betty T.

I would just either make a cover for it, or use an old bedspread, or one from a garage sale that you like. You can either throw it over the chair, or make it more fitted by using rubber bands or hair elastics to gather the fabric at the corners under the legs, to keep it from always sliding off.

I found the following information on the ehow website of how to repair a dashboard in a vehicle that is peeling and cracking. This will probably work the same way in repairing your vinyl recliner that is peeling and cracking.

http://www.ehow … g-dashboard.html

Your best bet might be to go to LillianVernon.com and order a cover especially for recliners. They come in different colors.

I think I would just go to www.surefit.com and order a recliner slipcover! I just bought one from there for my leather recliner as it's too hot in summer. They fit very well and are easy to take off to wash. They have many styles and color choices. Good luck. ;-)