Buying Food for Puppy with Pancreatitis

My Labrador/English Mastiff has recently been diagnosed with acute Pancreatitis. He is only 18 months old and I know this is very rare in young male dogs. He spent 4 days in intensive care and now I am lost. I know to feed him on a low fat diet but need to know some websites I can buy it from and the best one to get. It's also very expensive so any money saving tips would be much appreciated!

Kate from Melbourne, VIC, Australia

What brand(s) of dog food did the veterinarian recommend?

My toy poodle has had recurring bouts of Pancreatitis for the past 8 years, and I now have her on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance food. From a quick Google search, it looks like it is available in Sydney:

You can also find websites that have recipes for making dog food. I usually do that if my dog has an attack, and keep her on it for a week or so afterwards.

For the short term you can try boiled chicken (no bones, skin, fat) and rice or noodles with some green beans and carrots. If the vet said you have to stay on low fat diet permanently, then Science Diet makes an i/d food. It is a prescription diet so you need to get it from your vet, so more expensive. There is a Sensitive Stomach food from Science Diet, it is over the counter usally even at pet stores. It has a little more fat, but usually cheaper. Ask your vet where to buy your food.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Leo has been given i/d science diet and he loves it! Also on boiled chicken and rice and vegies. In the long term not really sure what we will do but at this stage he is looking good.

To GTIChick: Did your poodle have any head tremors caused by the pancreatitis? Leo is on phenobarbital for them and its just starting to work. If so, do know where the best and cheapest place is to get the tablets?

Did they check your dog for a liver shunt? Like Bile Acids before and after eating. Do you notice the head tremors worse after eating?

Try looking up for natural solutions. They have a pets section, and if you don't find what you want, you can request info. They have been wonderful for advice.

Do what you have to to buy good food. I just lost my 5yr old poodle last week because of Pancreatitis. Don't let it happen to you. I gave my dog the best food money could buy and it didn't help so do a lot of research. and don't be cheap. Go as natural as possible.

Dog With Pancreatitis
Feeding a Dog With Pancreatitis
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 30, 2008
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food