AdviceCleaning

Cleaning a Mobile Home That Was Infested With Mice

I recently purchased a used mobile home. I know it must have been infested with mice. There were traces everywhere. Now I have been in it for 3 months and I can still smell a "rodent odor" can someone tell me how to get rid of this?

Thanks,
Faye from NC

This is serious, especially with diseases that can be spread by dried, old rodent feces.

If it was me, I'd move everything out. I'd wear a surgical mask and clean it literally from top to bottom, inside and outside.

Use bleach where you can, a disinfecting cleaner where you cannot bleach. Vacuum upholstery, especially in the crevices.

Be prepared to replace anything that is upholstered however. Rodent urine has an oil in it and is virtually impossible to completely clean.

There was nothing in the home when I moved in. It has been cleaned.

I think the smell may be coming from the heating unit or inside the walls (maybe from the insulation).

I have cleaned inside the heating unit again. I will see some positive results shortly maybe.

We are dealing with this problem right now. Our best solution is to tear out the walls and insulation (assuming there is any) and check while you're at it for broken boards. We found most of our joists and stringers were broken. The trailers were collapsing. Once those are replaced, you can put in fresh insulation and new wallboard or paneling. Then you keep mouse poison out all the time. While you are working on this stinky mess, be sure to wear a mask and gloves and long sleeves. If you find any places where mice have been getting in, stop them up. Use good boards, or for little holes, stuff steel wool in there and then sprinkle it with baking soda to keep the steel wool from rusting out so fast. It isn't easy. But in the end you have what you want: a nice, clean-smelling house.

I took out walls and found in my mobile that the rodent traffic had put all the skimpy insulation down to the bottoms of the walls. No wonder things would get cold so soon after the woodstove went out. So the added benefit of opening everything up and reinsulating is that you get a much more thermal-efficient house. Good luck and enjoy the result, it's so worth it. God bless you! Kim

My brother and I just did this last week. We tore out everything, flooring, sub flooring and everything on the walls. First we scrubbed with soap, bleach and power scrubber and wet dry vac. Then we sprayed with a non toxic deodorizer that smells like grapefruit. Even in the heat vents. Just left it there to dry. I also have cats(yes, I fired them after this mouse mess). I don't smell anything and neither had anyone else visiting. We just layed the subflooring now. Good luck.

See my comments under the topic "animals under mobile home skirting". That may be helpful.