Removing Grout from Tile

Our sons tiled our house a couple of months ago and we are still trying to get the extra grout off the tile where they didn't finish cleaning it. Any ideas how to get it off? We have scrubbed and soaked, bit it is still there. Help please.

By Terri from Pensacola, FL

Best Answer

As a plumber I do lots of tiling. You have work ahead of you because time was not taken when it needed to be. OK there are grout removers available at hardware stores. If you use the above suggestion be careful if you have high gloss tiles you will scratch them and look at those scratches forever. If you apply pressure be careful not to crack your tiles.

I would call a specialist a tile supplier, an importer. They always have high end tile setters that they may recommend (or that purchase from them). I think the grout remover solution is a good idea, but be careful not to wreck your sealant (which would have your newly renovated bath at risk for leaks).

I see another sight recommends a Dremel only do this for complete removal. Remember your tile is new if its over 48 hours its already set, so take your time and take expert advice.

Best Answer

My husband is a builder so I have cleaned my share of grout off tiles. If it is only the filmy substance left on top of the tiles, use a solution of white vinegar and water with a Scotch Brite pad. If the grout is heavier, use very, very light fine grade wet sandpaper. Go slow and good luck. This is a tough job. My fingernails can attest to that.

Best Answer

You waited too long after grouting to remove the grout haze. Now it needs to be acid washed. While this sounds scary and damaging, it will just remove the grout from the tile and not damage the grout lines -- if done properly. Contact your local floor covering store or possibly Lowe's or Home Depot and they can sell you the muradic acid and give you directions. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, just ask them to recommend a good installer to finish this up for you. I've been in floor covering for 16 years.

I am sorry to say that there really is no good way to remove it. My best idea is to use a light grade of wet-dry sandpaper. Then maybe a buffing compound & a drill with a buffing pad. Unfortunately for you, grout is made not to come off!

March 19, 2010 Flag

How do you remove dried grout from bathroom tile floor?

By Maggie from NJ

Answers:

Removing Grout from Tile

You have to scrape it off. Your best tool would be a Dremel tool or one of the newer "multi-tool". The newer type (that oscillates) has a scraper tool that would work perfectly. I wish there was an easier way, but once grout dries, it's set.

Here's more information: http://www.askthebuilder.com/B150_Tile_Grout_Removal_Tools.shtml

Detailed Instructions: http://www.ehow.com/way_5553148_dried-grout-removal.html

An Oscillating Tool: http://www.acetoolonline.com/DREMEL-6300-03-Multi-Max-Oscillating-Tool-Kit-p/dre-6300-03.htm

* There is also another type of Grout, it's made with Epoxy and is harder to remove:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5914575_epoxy-grout-removal.html (02/16/2010)

By Cyinda

Removing Grout from Tile

http://cgi.ebay.com/4VINTAGE-BOTTLE-OPENERS-COORS-FALSTAFF-AND-HAMMS_W0QQitemZ350316927961QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5190841bd9

Recently I did my own bathroom and found the old fashion bottle and can openers did the job the best. The pointy end really got the gout out. I sent you a page from eBay so you can see a picture of what I am talking about. Hope this helps. it worked for me. (02/20/2010)

By MrsA1126

February 16, 2010 Flag

What is the easiest way to remove grout from shower stall tile? No matter what I use, the grout has turned black/grey in areas and even bleach will not get it out. Thanks for any suggestions.

Diane from Orlando, FL

March 17, 2009 Flag

Is there a secret to grouting and the cleaning it up? There is a film on the tile and the grout has gotten stuck in the indentations of the tile. It's a bugger to get out! We are in the midst of finishing our shower and it's just taking so long. Now, the floor is next. We used sanded grout if that helps. Thanks!

Sheena

Answers:

Removing Grout from Tile

I have used elbow grease, vinegar and a kitchen scrubby with success several times. Also, lime away can be of some help, but make sure it is sealed in the grout lines first so you don't remove that as well. (12/10/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Removing Grout from Tile

Carefully scraping, using a single edge blade, is best. It takes a long time and you must be sure not to scrape into the ceramic/fiberglass surfaces. The results are worth the effort though. (12/11/2008)

By lovethecritters

December 10, 2008 Flag

My husband made a mess with grout in the bathroom around the tub when laying new tile. Is there a way to remove all the old grout while leaving the tile intact? The grout was not sealed and he did not finish cleaning the grout off the top of the tile. Now it is hardened on the tile. I want to redo it right, while he is deployed. It is a jacuzzi tub with a tile surround so there is a lot of tile grout to be removed.

Anna from Arkansas

Answers:

Removing Grout from Tile

I agree with the double edged blade. I used to clean new houses before they were ready to be sold and it worked well to get the plaster off of windows. I use one for everything. I keep one by my sink to scrape food off of pots too. (07/17/2008)

By rae

Removing Grout from Tile

Hi. We have been tiling our whole house in a remodel. You can just scrape and scrape and scrape. The best thing is just to use good old fashioned elbow grease. Good luck. Lori (07/17/2008)

By Lori

July 16, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
installing tile
Removing Grout From Tiles
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringMarch 19, 2010
A handyman replacing floor grout.
Floor Grout Keeps Cracking
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄